Chapter 50- C o O k I e S

Warnings ⚠: Child Abuse, Rape, Violence, Religion, Drug Use, Alcohol Use, Use of Slurs, Homophobia, Bullying, Mention of Suicide, Suicidal Thoughts, Suicidal Actions, Gun Use

Josiah's P.O.V.

-Thursday, November 4th-

I hate the mall. I don't understand why every store here has to be so expensive.

But... Damien insisted.

I don't even want winter clothes... I'm good as I am.

Cold . As always.

"Damien..." I try to get his attention as we walk into the store together.

"Hmm?" He murmurs, clearly not listening to me.

Ignoring me.

Just like he's been all day.

I continue anyway. "What's the price limit? Like, what am I looking for here...? Twenty, thirty dollars?"

He seems taken aback, but then he chuckles at me, a bit amused. I squeeze his hand and let my eyes fall to the floor. I must have said something wrong.

"Josiah, you can pick whatever you want. It doesn't matter. As long as it's what you like and will keep you warm. We should get you a hat and gloves and stuff, too."

A hat and gloves and stuff ...

Fuck no.

"Oh? Sorry, I forgot..." I adjust my hair out of my face and look up at the clothes around me.

I blink at the coats when he leads me to them. It's hard to imagine owning any of them, and for some reason, I feel the urge to run off.

"Go ahead and pick." He tells me.

Damn.

I release his hand and reach out to find the softest thing.

This one is soft, but it isn't as soft as I expected, and it was black anyway.

I really don't think I want anything. Damien will persist until I pick, though, and I know he is upset right now anyway. His father just died, for God's sake... The least I can do, is to do what he wants me to do.

"I don't care. Just grab one and let's go." I pretty much give up.

"Josiah, I will purposefully get you the ugliest coat if you don't pick one. I want it to be something you like, not something I think you will like."

Like I care...

I pull on my sleeves, bringing them over my hands and holding them there.

"Okay. I just want something soft and comfy." I shrug.

I spend a few minutes looking through all the stuff again and again, as if any of it would change and become something I would choose to wear.

There were a couple that were okay, but... None of them made me excited to get them.

"Don't you like any of them?" Damien asks me.

"Yeah... Can we look around other places?" I sway a bit, suddenly feeling tired and bored out of my mind.

Or maybe not so suddenly . I didn't want to come.

"Sure."

I run my hands through my hair before starting to walk away from him, ready to look in other places and drain time.