Chapter 25

Photo: Tatiana Nikolaevna Romanova 1910

5 June 1911 Finnish Skerries

We are spending our summer vacation in the Skerries and Mama's birthday as well. Aunt Olga and cousin Irina is joining us as well.

I sunbathed in the sun next to Papa smoking a cigarette "Papa can i taste a cigarette?" i asked "Sure my daughter just not too much okay?" he answered handing me a cigarette and a lighter. Papa lets us smoke cigarettes sometimes but not much. Alexei is playing with Sony. Olga's cat is sunbathing with us. While the others are decorating the garden for Mama's birthday. I was ordered to look over Alexei for a while.

"Hello Sofia" i heard a familiar voice behind me i turned to look who it is and it was Sergei "Sergei! Haven't seen you in a while!" I exclaimed. He sat beside me "Smoking cigarettes in a young age? My mom would spank me if she caught me smoking cigarettes!" Sergei laughed "Papa lets us but not that much" i smiled. "Your turning 16 next year?" He asked "Yes i cant believe it!" I exclaimed "Im going to help your sisters, keep an eye on your brother." Papa said standing up and heading to my sister's.

I stood up and followed Alexei to avoid any accidents. "Sergei come and keep me company" i ordered. He stood and followed me "Sonyechka! Come join me in the waters!" Alexei shouted. I took off my socks and shoes and ran to the waters. "Its cold!" I yelled "Its nothing once you get in its nothing!" Alexei yelled back. He splashed me with water making my dress wet "Look what you did on my dress!" I exclaimed. We played in the waters for a while Sergei keeping an eye on us "This is fun!" Alexei smiled "Yes i know but Mama will be mad at me for making my dress wet!" I shouted. "Alexei and Sofia Romanov! Come here now!" I heard mama yelled. We got out of the waters and ran to Mama soaking wet.

"Oh my! Next time you wear your swimming attire! Lili get them towels!" Mama ordered. Lili got us two towels and wrapped it to us like a burrito "Get inside and take a shower and change" Mama ordered. I ran inside the dacha we're staying in.

I got out of the shower Lili fixed my hair and cutted my long bangs to a shorter one, now i look like Anastasia again. Speaking of Anastasia she's sitting on my bed knitting a gloves "Wow Sofia you and me have the same hairstyle!" She smiled "Yes we're matching!" I smiled. "Lets go outside and help our sisters" i invited, she stood up and ran outside.

I was cutting papers with a large scissors for better cutting, Cousin Irina is also helping me "How's St. Petersburg?" Irina asked "Oh its windy and hot" i answered "Is it rainy?" She questioned "sometimes" i answered "your 16 soon" i smiled "Yes! Almost everyone in our family's birthday is in June!" She exclaimed "Yes Mama,Maria, Anastasia and you!" I smiled.

"Irina,Sofia! Lets swim!" Olga shouted at us. We changed to our swimming attire and dived to the sea with Olga and Tatiana. Mama, Papa, and the little pair with Alexei had a picnic under a tree.

"Lets play tug of war in the water!" Olga grabbed a rope and handed the end to me and Irina. We started pulling the until we lost. I fell under the water and got water on my nose and eyes. Irina help me get up "That was fun but are you okay?" Irina looked at me "No I don't think so i got water on my nose and some on my eyes!" I said rubbing my eyes "That's not good! And stop rubbing your eyes it will make it worse! Lets tell Auntie and Uncle" Irina said leading me to Mama and Papa. Irina explained what happened.

I was eventually put into bed rest by Dr. Botkin i have been feeling sick since the incident. Im taking a few medications again i hate being sick. Sony is on the sofa sleeping again. Charlotte sat reading aloud to me i had a cloth on my forehead too.

Mama came in with Dr. Botkin. "My dear how are you feeling?" Mama came up to me "Sick" i answered while Dr. Botkin was listening to my heart etc. "Your majesty she is quite ill and has a high fever. She needs bed rest" Dr. Botkin stated. Mama shed a tear and kissed me in the forehead "Get well soon my dear" she smiled and left. I must get better tomorrow for Mama's birthday.