Chapter 57

June 1918

A new commandant got assigned in the Ipatiev House and his name is Yakov Yurovsky ever since he got assigned here there are even more strict rules. I hated him already.

It is also dear Maria's birthday today. I knitted her a a little blanket. I wrapped it around a newspaper and hid it under my pillow.

I walked around outside to get some fresh air. I saw a big and tall tree then saw a rope. I pulled it out and tied it to the tree branch. I held on the rope as i climbed and sat stood on the tree branch hoping to take a look at the outside world but nothing, the fences are still shielding it. I sighed and sat on the branch while reading. Its so relaxing.

"Sofia?" I heard Olga's voice below. I looked down at her.

"What are you doing? Get down!" She demanded. I dropped the book to the ground as i jumped from the tree branch.

"I love it up there" i sighed as i dusted off my red skirt.

"I know but Lunch is served, you can go back up there later" she says as she pulled me inside.

We sat down as i saw Maria frowning and playing with her food. We have spent our birthdays in the last months on captivity. It was sad we didn't get to celebrate it in Livadia like what we always do.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. We were all nervous to answer them. Mama signaled Anastasia to open it. She stood up while fiddling with her hands as she opens the door revealing a guard with a birthday cake for her. "Happy birthday!" We all greeted. "Make a wish!" Anastasia says. She closed her eyes and maked a wish as she blowed her candles.

I haven't gave her my gift yet, i planned on doing it later after lunch. Mama cutted the cake and distributed it to us. Maria gave the guard a thank you smile, i dont know his name but he seems like a nice fella, i guess he is one of Vasily's friends because i often see them together around.

Even though the cake is very dry i still enjoyed it. I dipped the cake to my tea to give it some taste, luckily no one was looking.

I saw Vasily standing by the door. He gave me a thumbs up and raised his eyebrows, i guess he is asking how is the cake. I gave him a thumbs up and smiled.

We all finished eating, i headed back to the tree and climbed and sat in the tree branch while knitting.

Suddenly, a bird landed on my fabric, luckily he didn't get stabbed by the needle, he was a cute white little birdie. I putted my pointing finger down and the bird hopped on it, it feels weird but i don't care i just want him to be my new friend. He flew and sat on my lap he is so precious i want to keep him with me. I gave him a little pat and continued knitting carefully.

I remembered i had a pet bird back in the Palace and unfortunately it died because a dog ate it. No it was not Vicky i think it was a random street dog but yeah R. I. P Mellow or whatever his name was because i forgot. Hehe

I headed back to our room and started sewing more jewels to our corsets. Maria was nowhere in sight while the rest of us are sewing more jewels to our corsets.

I still have the two pocket jewels with me, all kept safe in my pocket.

"Everyone hide it!" Alexei backs off the door and seats by the window. We all hid our jewels, i grabbed a book and pretended to read.

The guards enter our room and starts inspecting, me being anxious i secretly took the jewels under the covers and stuffed it under my shirt and walked to Olga. I want scream and yell at the guards but i dont want to get shouted by Olga again. I stood infront of my sister's who was hugging each other in fear. Yes im ready to spill blood for them, for my family. Mama silently prayed by the window while Papa tried to calm her down.

"Where's the other daughter?" The commandant yells. "Go find her!" He demands. My hands began to shake, scared of what might've happen to our dear Mashka.

They began to search for Maria in each rooms until they find one locked. The officer busted it open to find her with an officer. "Get out!" He shouts. They quickly got out as Maria ran to my arms.

"We were just chatting!" She exclaimed.

"With the doors locked?" Tatiana questions.

"Okay fine we kissed" she mutters. My fist balled ready to smash the wall.

"Okay okay just shh!" I said.

We returned back to our room Mama and Papa is talking with Maria privately. "Hey where are our jewels?" She lifted the covers wider.

I took them out of my shirt and dropped them to the bed. "I was afraid they would take it so i hid them under me" i scratched my head.

"Thats why your blouse looked weird" Tatiana chuckles. "Well atleast its safe" Olga says.

"Atleast we are all safe" i smiled.