Goodbye

Vic

After I told David about what had happened just over a week ago now he didn't get mad, there was no yelling- no fighting. We talked... a lot, and there were tears and a lot of awkward conversations, but we talked through it. Things are still a little fragile, but if feels good to have been able to be completely up front about it with him and to move past it. We're going to his parents' house for dinner tonight and to say I was nervous would be an understatement. I felt a little more confident when I got in the car, but the second we started driving I couldn't seem to swallow the nerves and keep them down. Did he tell them what I did? Do they know who I am? Do they hate me already?

"Loosen up a little over there, I'm scared you're gonna stop breathing." He said as he glanced over from the drivers seat and reach over to grab my hand in the one he had free from the wheel. "They're gonna love you, you'll be great." He said to try and reassure me, I gave him a forced smile and he turned the radio up a bit.

When we got to the house I was blown away, it was huge and from the outside it looked so homey and warm with all the lights on inside, displaying it like a spotlight. It was huge and just in the other side, I could hear the water crashing on the shore. I knew his dad was well off, I just didn't expect to be rolling up to what I'm sure is a 6 bedroom house.

We got out of the car and he came around and met me on the passenger side and took my hand and gave me a soft smile before we started walking to the door. Can he feel how sweaty my hand is right now?

He knocked on the door and it didn't take much time for it to open to reveal a older, short  woman with a smile plastered across her face. She pulled David in for a hug and giggled, she radiated comfort. She pulled away from David and say her hello to him before looking to me and tilting her head.

"And you must be Victoria, oh have I heard amazing things." She said as she pulled me in for a hug, I was taken a little off guard but quickly hugged her back as her husband walked up behind her and went over to David and hugged him. Once his mother let me go his dad walked over and we shook hands and he greeted me warmly.

"Come in come in." She spoke again as she ushered us in excitedly. I looked between her and David and the resemblance was amazing, he was a spitting image of his mother. "I'm Kelly, this is Dave. It is so nice to meet you, we've been looking forward this." She said with a smile as we followed behind her into the house, and it was just as beautiful inside as it was out. His parents gave us a tour and showed me around, the view was beautiful and it felt undeniably homey here. For dinner we had a home cooked meal his mom made and it was amazing, it felt so familiar and comfortable, they made me feel so included, and his dad asked me all about my work and my equipment, David of course told them about the gallery, and about my work with big artists and with Gucci... it made me miss family dinners with my parents when I would tell them all about school and what I did that day, and they would talk about their work.

I helped bring the dishes to the sink with Kelly and she thanked me 5 times, but insisted she didn't want any more help cleaning, and that I was the guest and should relax... I don't think I know the meaning of the word. David took me upstairs and showed me his room, still decorated the way 18 year old David thought was cool. He then brought me to his dad's study. The room was massive with books lining the walls. He had notebooks stacked on his desk with papers scattered on the surface. He had hand written diagrams and papers, with maps and photographs on bulletin boards around the room. I walked slowly past each one, looking at the work he had done and the amazing graphs and photographs that he displayed.

"Come look at this." He said and he grabbed my hand and lead me towards the door glass doors and grabbed the handles and pushed them open. We walked out onto the large balcony walked to the edge and I placed my hands on railing and looked out over the ocean. "The beach is the perfect place for the stars... no city lights pulling focus." He said and I smiled, it reminded me of when Harry and I were star gazing in Milan and I couldn't see a single star in the sky because of the lights, so he covered my eyes and made me imagine my own stars. When he told me to feel that moment, to imagine the sky was opening up and I could count each one. Before I could stop myself I felt my eyes welling up with tears and I could feel David looking at me, I turned to him beside me and he gave me sad smile.

"You love him..." he said softly and I just looked at him, I didn't know what to say. "Don't you?" He added, there was no anger, no force to his tone, it was kind and soft and I didn't deserve that kindness. I closed my eyes and let tears fall down my cheeks as I nodded. I looked at him and let out a shaky breath.

"I don't want to." I told him in a small voice and he nodded.

"But you do. And... it's okay." His voice was sad and it broke my heart to know how much he must be hurting.

"I'm sorry." My voice was barely above a whisper, I feel like the earth would open any minute and swallow me whole.

"I knew I didn't stand a chance to that guy, you can't help it." He said and shrugged looking to the ground, I let out a quiet sob and could feel my heart break. Because yes I love Harry, but I had true feelings for David, we spent almost every day for 3 months together, whether it was seeing him at work, or sleeping over at his apartment... I'm losing my friend too.

"David, you are... amazing-"

"We don't- we don't have to do that. It's okay." I wiped the tears from my face and looked at him with his glassy eyes.

"I'm so sorry." I told him again and he shook his head and pulled me in and hugged me tight. This was it, the last time we would hold each other like this, the last time we'll be more than silent glances over our laptops at work, and awkward small talk in the morning.

"Goodbye, Victoria Townes." He said with a forced smile as he bowed. I sniffled and let out a strangled chuckle.

"Goodbye, David Watson." I said softly and bowed back and I went back inside and saw myself out.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2 short short chapters for ya for the double update to keep you all tied over for now until shit DROPS.

But, David and Victoria called it quits 🥲 how do we think Harry's gonna feel? How do YOU all feel??

All the love, always
-r