Chapter 27

Preview for the book I'm working on... I'm thinking about calling it The Mafia's Toddler but am open to suggestions :) let me know what you think in the comments ✌🏻

As we pull up in front of my mansion, I prepare myself for the conversation I'm about to have with my wife. It's a little after midnight and I see the blinds move in the living room and I know she is awake. Awake and pissed.

As I walk through the front door, I hear her padding towards me. I'm not scared of much. But all 5'0 of my wife is terrifying. She is fuming as she walks to me but then I notice the confusion as she stares at the bundle of blankets in my arms. Thinking quickly, I push the baby into her arms. She can't hit me if she is holding a baby.

"Ares?!" She whisper yells. She looks at the baby and then her eyes snap up to mine.

"Hello my love." I peck her lips while she is still in shock.

"Don't hello my love me! Where did this baby come from?!" She isn't looking at me anymore. She is stroking the baby's cheek. She is completely mesmerized by her already.

"Her father is no longer of this earth. Her mother died giving birth to her. She is alone. She is almost two." Her eyes snap to mine.

"Two? She looks much younger than that."

"She has had a hard life. Her father was into drugs. I haven't heard her speak other than crying."

"Poor baby."

I stand there watching my wife fall in love with the toddler.

"What's her name?" My beautiful wife asks.

"McKenna."

"She's beautiful."

"She's ours."

"What?" She looks at me with tears in her eyes.

And now on to our scheduled program 😘

Scarlett's POV

I wake up feeling arms around my waist. Momentarily confused in my sleepy state I panic, not knowing where Briella is.

"Stay in bed." I hear Camden's raspy morning voice behind me as she kisses between my shoulder blades. I smile as I remember last night and with how she is holding me right now. She isn't big on snuggling so I need to get it whenever I can. I look at my nightstand and see Briella still sound asleep with Boss in her crib again on the monitor. I roll my eyes but I can't help but smile. She is kneading his fur in her sleep and I have to resist the urge to go get her so I can have baby snuggles. She does that to my chest when she is in new born head space.

"Are you ready for today?" I whisper as I turn in her arms. She tucks her head under my chin and clings to my body as she throws her leg over my hip. I smile and run my fingers through her hair. Camden comes off as cold or very straight lipped but she is the biggest softy. Briella and I are the only ones who get to see her this way.

"No." I know she is wanting to say more so I wait. When she finally gets her thoughts together, she speaks again. "I'm really nervous. I just want everything to go well and I want Bri to be happy."

"She will be happy as long as she has you and I. And your parents are very understanding, babe. They might be a little confused at first but I'm sure they will accept her with open arms." I rub her bare back as she places gentle kisses on my neck and collar bone.