Chapter 32

I'm sorry in advance.... I cried while writing this

Briella's POV

I had a great weekend. I cried when Nanny and Papa went home and they promised to come back and see me soon. Mommy dropped me and Boss off at work this morning. He is currently in his bed sleeping as I'm working the till.

"Briella, do you mind grabbing more pastries from out back?" Carrie asks me as she finishes making a big order for the girl at the counter."

"Sure!" I chirp. I walk to the back and push open the pantry door and start looking for the croissants and scones that we are out of when I hear the door behind me. I turn around expecting to see Carrie or Sophie but there is a man I don't know. I freeze as I look at him. He is taller than Mommy and I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. I fight to not slip instantly as I look at him and take a small step back.

Trigger warning: sexual assault/abuse

"Sir, the bathrooms are back down the hall on the right." I manage to get out without stuttering. I glance up to the corner of the room, seeing the camera and hope that Sophie is watching the feed but I thought I saw her out front before I came back here.

"I wasn't looking for the bathroom." The mystery man chuckles but I don't find this funny at all. He starts walking towards me and I back into the shelves behind me. I squeak when my back makes contact with the metal and whimper when his rough hands grab my face.

"Shhh it's okay, little one. I'll take good care of you." I close my eyes and feel tears run down my face when I hear a belt buckle and a zipper. I start thrashing and crying until I feel a hand strike my face. I freeze again until I feel hands on my waist trying to pull down my leggings. I squeal and cry harder.

The door suddenly flying open, and I'm confused when I don't see a person walk in. The man is ripped away from me and I see Boss mauling him. The man starts screaming as Boss growls and shakes his head. I sink to the floor and bring my knees to my chest as sobs leave my mouth. The door opens again, this time Sophie and Carrie stare at the scene in front of them.

Carrie's POV

I hear screaming from the back and my mind instantly thinks about Briella. I make eye contact with Sophie and we both run to the back pantry. I'm absolutely shocked when I see Briella. Her leggings are almost to her knees and she is in the fetal position on the floor. The guy is still screaming and swinging his fists at Boss as he shakes his head with one arm in his mouth. Sophie calls 911 as I rush to Briella. As soon as I touch her she starts screaming and thrashing. She just yells no over and over.

"Shhh Briella, it's Carrie. It's okay, love. He isn't going to hurt you." She isn't hearing me or understanding what's going on right now but I need to get her out of this room. I pick her up and rush to the bathroom. She is still crying when I set her on the counter. I take her in, looking for any signs he hurt her. I see a large red handprint on her face making my blood boil. I look lower and see she peed herself. I take off my sweater and set it on her lap. I try to comfort her to no avail as she just keeps sobbing.

After a few moments I hear scratching on the door. I open it and Boss rushes in and starts nudging Briella's leg with his blood covered nose. Briella jumps off the counter and stumbles as she sits on the floor. Boss gets on her lap and she hugs him while she cries.

"Fank 'ou Boss." I hear her mumble between her sobs. Silent tears make their way down my cheeks as I quickly wipe them away. She doesn't need to see my crying.

A knock at the door brings me out of thoughts. I see Briella tense a bit, but I go to answer it. A female officer stands on the other side of the door.

"Ma'am, I was told the girl involved was in here. You must be Carrie?" She asks as she looks to her notepad.

"Yes. I'm Carrie. Briella is right here." I open the door and allow her to walk into the bathroom. It's feels way to small in here now. Boss looks at the officer and I can tell her guard is up. She has one hand on the taser on her belt as she looks at the pair.

"Hi Briella. I'm officer McCall. Are you okay?"

"Want Mama, want Mommy." I'm a little surprised. Briella doesn't really talk about her family but I could have swore I heard her mention her father before.

"Okay, I'll work on that for you. Can you tell me how old you are?" I look at the officer, I'm sure Sophie would have told her the basic info or at least given her Briella's work file. I'm even more surprised when Briella holds up two fingers.

"Wow, a big girl. Can you point to any owies the bad man gave you?" I look at the officer like she is crazy. What the hell is going on.

Briella points to her cheek where there is a clear hand print.

"No where else?" She asks again. Briella just buries her face in Boss' fur and officer McCall turns to whisper to me.

"Are you aware that Briella is a little?"

"No, I don't know what that is?" I look at her like she is crazy again.

"She regresses to a much younger mental age than her physical. Clearly, the stress today pushed her into headspace. I don't have a lot of experience with littles but I have seen a couple since joining the force here. Do you know who her caregivers are? Women she spends time with or talks about?"

"Only one I can think of is Scarlett something. She helped when Briella burnt her hand here a few months ago. She drops her off here most days. I think she gave her business card to my boss, I can get it for you." I recall as I step towards the door.

"Thank you. I'm going to take her to the hospital to get checked out just in case. The dog hers?" Officer McCall nodded to Boss who was still eyeing us carefully.

"No, he is the owner's, but he is very attached to Briella. He saved her. Martin went in for surgery a couple days ago and Briella has been taking care of him."

"I guess he is going too." The officer sighs. She is probably worried Boss will eat her face. To be honest, I have never seen him like that before. He has always been so calm and sweet with everyone. I'm glad he choose now to be fiercely protective though. With one last glance at Briella, I head to Martin's office to find that business card.