Chapter 24

Tuesday

Telling Molly was kind of easy. But today I have to tell my mom and that's going to be a big challenge. When I left home to go to college she wasn't happy, but I was going just two hours away by car, but now I'm moving seven hours away... By plane. And not to mention the time zones.  

I called her last night and told her I was coming today for the day, that we needed to talk. She was worried at first but then I lied, telling her that everything was fine. I wish it was. 

Jake offered to drive me to Orlando and I'm glad he did. Driving with a baby is not an easy task. And I have to admit it, he's a good person. I was faking to like him at first but now I really do. He seems to care about Jack, he helps me often and he is always around. I know all of this is an act but if we have to be around all the time we need to stand each other. 

But don't get me wrong, this is strictively business.

After two hours of driving and listening to music, we finally arrived to my mom's house. She took the day off to be with us. I knock on her door with Jack in his carrier and wait. She answers in a moment, looking right at Jake.

"Sweetie, you didn't tell me you were coming with company." She says in a polite voice, her eyes widened. She then glances at Jack with a smile, who is still sleeping from the ride. 

"Mom. This is Jake. Remember I told you we needed to talk?" I give her a kiss on the cheek and step in. 

"Come inside Jake, nice to meet you." She puts her hand on his shoulder and lets him in.

"The pleasure is mine, ma'am." He says in that british accent of his. 

I wonder which accent Jack is going to have. 

"Do you want something to drink?" My mom asks looking at him from head to toes. I know what she's thinking: He's hot. 

Jake shakes his head after answering, "I'm good, thanks." He then glances at me. Right, business. 

"Uhm Jake? Can you watch Jack while I... Go to the kitchen with my mom?" I ask him while I scratch the back of my neck. The soonest I tell her the best. 

"Sure. I'll wait here." He says grabbing the carrier from my hands. 

My mom looks at me with questioning eyes and I decide to ignore it. I walk her to the kitchen and make her sit on a stool. She keeps staring as I look for the easiest way to tell her. 

Please, dad, wherever you are, send me your divine help and help her get through this. I pray in my head. 

"Please don't freak out." It's the first thing that leaves my mouth.

"He's the real father, isn't he?" She says and I widen my eyes. 

"Ugh? No, mom. What the-? No! Of course not!" I chuckle, shaking my head. "Well, kind of." I realize, letting a chuckle out.

"What do you mean?" She asks tilting her head to a side. 

That's when I explain to her what management made us do. I told her that Harry and I came to the conclusion that if we keep distance is better for the safety of the baby. Then I added that I have to be with someone else to erase the possibility of the media finding out. I was careful with every detail.

She just nodded through the whole conversation, letting me do all the talk. Her expression was blank, like she expected it.

But I haven't told her what I came here in the first place and I hope, really hope that she takes it good.