083 | 𝙺𝚞𝚛𝚎𝚗𝚊𝚒~𝚃𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚔𝚜, 𝙼𝚘𝚖

Requested by imaogaddamngay - Can you do a Kurenai x Reader or Mei x Reader fluff? :'^

     The smell of vanilla filled the air and greeted the genjutsu user's nostrils with a cozy scent. The windows were open, which indicated that someone was cooking. Kurenai speculated it was you, and she was right. 

     You were by the kitchen counter, a bowl of eggs and what looked like sugar next to you as your finger rang along the lines on the recipe you and Kurenai have been trying to perfect over the past week. You then grabbed a carton of moo juice - milk - and poured in a cup of the substance as a pinch of salt followed after. Kurenai spotted a small bottle as she guessed the vanilla scent came from there.

     "I can't cook with you being there watching me, you know." your sound echoed as you added flour into the bowl.

     "Sorry, (Y/n)." she sauntered towards you, her eyes fell on the messy kitchen counters, then you. "I see someone's made a mess."

     "I tried doing the recipe you gave me. The first time I made it, it was a bit off for me, so I tried adjusting the ingredients again," you explained.

     "Did you get the flip right?" you chuckled a bit. Even after you've perfected the recipe, you still can't bring yourself to deliver the perfect flip. In the end, you'd always have wonky pancakes.

     "Sadly, no."

     "Try using a spatula then."

     "Give me three more tries?" you suggested, the click on the stove made you a bit anxious since you're doing it in front of your team captain.

     You used a ladle, scooping some of the batter from the bowl and pouring it onto the pan as you tilted it slightly so the batter created a circle. You waited as bubbles soon appeared. You readied yourself, picking up the pan, you swung it back and forth gently. Your hands were sweating not from the stove but from the fact that Kurenai was watching you. 

     You then threw the pancake up in the air. While the pancake was airborne, it flipped upside down as it then landed on...

     ...the edge of the pan, smearing the uncooked batter all over it.

     "Damn it." you cursed. Using a wooden spatula, you lift the pancake up and onto a plate, away from the crime scene that is the smeared batter.

     "Second try?"

     "Second try."

     You repeated the earlier steps: getting the batter pouring it onto the pan, wait for a few minutes. The bubbles appeared as you began swinging the pan back and forth gently. You threw the pancake a bit too hard, but good thing it landed... 

     ...On the pan. But there was still so much uncooked batter, it made a splat on the pan rather than a circle. 

     "At least that was better?" Kurenai spoke behind you. You let out a sigh. Your hands were sweaty, the kitchen was in need of clean-up. And yet the thing you were worried about was cooking the pancake. 

     "One last chance?" you turned to your teacher in hopes she would agree. With sparkling eyes, there was no way she couldn't. She knew how much determination you had and loved how hard you were trying. And so goes the third attempt. 

     Ladle, batter, pan, cook, bubbles. You swung the pan back and forth. 

     "Easy now, don't throw it too hard." with Kurenai's coaching. You threw the pancake up, and it landed...

     ...On the pan, no uncooked batter around it. It was perfect. Joy beamed from your heart as you turned off the stove. 

     "Good job, (Y/n). You did it." she clapped as she ruffled your hair a little. You tidied your messy hair back together after you moved the pancake on a plate.

     "Let's eat the ruined ones." you suggested. Lifting up onto your tiptoes, you took out a jug of maple syrup as you sat it down on the counter. 

     "No need. I'll give them to Kiba." Kurenai rejected lightly, wearing a smile that made you not question it deeper. You couldn't help but burst into laughter. 

     "Thanks, mom..." you trailed off, embarrassment seeping into your very core when you realized what slipped from your mouth. "...I couldn't have done it without you." you ended your sentence in a low voice since you didn't want to make it more awkward than it already was. 

     Dear God, it was one of those moments where you called your teacher mom by accident.
     Kurenai's brows rose in surprise. As it then morphed into chuckles. She has had many brilliant students in the past, team eight counts as well. They all come and go. When you came along you became that exact person she was lacking in life (Other than Asuma (  ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)) She could never find an explanation as to why you stood out. 

     "I'm so so-sorry, I didn't mean to-" you stuttered, face already sweating now it felt like it was overheating. Kurenai let out a chuckle. She didn't mind though. She then embraced you in a wholesome bear hug.

     "You don't have to apologize, dear. To be honest, I kinda like the sound of that."

     "Oh, can I keep calling you that?"

     "Sure."

Bonus:

     "Should we tell (Y/n) she's gonna have a younger sister?" Asuma teased Kurenai as they spotted you chatting among team eight.

     "Let her figure it out. We can have that as a surprise." the genjutsu user had a cheeky grin on her face as Kiba tasted the two pancakes the came out as failures when you cooked them.

938 words

ʕ •̀ o •́ ʔ

Sorry if there's typos cuz I didn't proofread this ;w;