XXVI. You too?

"Good", Charlie sighed relieved. "First of all, please don't tell James!" "I promise." "Swear. By your life." " I swear by my life, I won't tell James." "Okay, you see, yesterday- no wait! Swear you won't tell Peter, Sirius or anyone else either!" "I swear." "Okay. First things first. Can you remember what happens, when you're in your werewolf form?" "When- I'm sorry, what?" "When you're in your werewolf form. No need to pretend, I know." "I'm sorry, I'm not a-" "Re-mus!" He hung his head and croaked: "How do you know?" "I had the theory for a while. Confronted Lily. Questioned Snape. Yesterday, I saw you." "You saw me?! But how? Were you-" "Remus, calm down! Now, do you remember?" 

"Vaguely. Not that much. It's a bit like a dream. Right after you awake, you remember everything. Then, with time, it slowly fades away. Now, how did you see me?" "I followed you into the shrieking shack." "But then?! Did I attack you? Werewolves attack humans! I could've- you could've-" "Remus." "I could've KILLED you!", he shouted. "No, you couldn't have. Werewolves only attack humans." "Which you are!" "Not when I'm a wolf, I'm not", Charlie replied.

 "What?" Remus' mouth dropped. "You too? But that's crazy! And James never told me!" "James doesn't know", Charlie explained. Remus looked at her incredulously: "You kept the fact that you're a werewolf from your brother?" "Oh! Oh Merlin, I'm so sorry, of course, that's what it sounded like!", Charlie slapped her front and shook her head. "No, I'm an Animagus, see?" She quickly transformed into a wolf and back again. "Oh. Umm, okay." "Look, I'm really sorry, Remus, I didn't mean to get your hopes up." "It's okay, Charlie. So, you followed them in your wolf form. Then what?", Remus asked, curiously.

"Well, they thought I was Rowena Ravenclaw." "They what?" "I told them I were Rowena Ravenclaw, coming in Godric Gryffindor's name." "And they actually believed you?!" Remus snorted. "They did. Then you transformed. It was horrible. You were in such pain." Remus nodded: "Yeah, the transformation is painful. If there aren't any humans nearby, after the transformation, it gets better." 

Charlie shook her head and sobbed again: "No. That was the most horrible night in my entire life. Worse then spending six years in St Mungo's! I'm a wolf. I could understand you." Remus looked at her, shocked. "What did I say?" She shook her head: "You didn't say anything. The werewolf spoke. His voice- it was yours and not yours. You sounded so, so evil and b-bloodthirsty. It was horrible. You kept- you kept babbling about wanting to hunt and kill. It wasn't Remus. It was a bloodthirsty creature!" Charlie sobbed again and hugged Remus again. Remus stayed silent.

 "Remus?" "I'm a monster." "What? No, don't say that", Charlie scolded. "You just said so yourself. I'm a bloodthirsty creature. I'm a soulless, evil monster, deserving nothing but death." Remus turned away from Charlie. "What are you bloody trying to say? Remus John Lupin! You're the sweetest person imaginable, for Godric's sake! Look me in the eyes. You. Are. Not. A. Monster."

 Remus didn't look her in the eyes. He turned and said: "Flush, Flush, Flush." Seconds later, he vanished. Charlie did the same. She landed on the toilet just in time to see Remus storm out of the prefects' bathrooms. "Remus! REMUS!", she yelled after him, but he had already left.