2.6

I laid restless in bed. I heard a small tap on the window. I got out of bed. I saw Sirius on a broom.

I opened my window. "What are you doing out here? Get inside", I said. Sirius climbed into my room. I locked my bedroom door.

"Did he do it? Did he do the first task?" Sirius asked.

"Yes and he's just fine", I said. Sirius sighed with relief. He really cares about Harry.

"I begged them not to let him compete. I'm sorry", I said.

"No need to apologize", Sirius said.

"I'll get you something to drink. If you'd like", I said.

"I'll just have a water", Sirius said.

I walked over to my work desk in the corner. I had glass cups stacked under the desk. I also had what muggles call a mini fridge. I stacked it with muggle food and Wizarding food.

I grabbed one of the glass cups.

"Nice bed", Sirius said.

I looked over at Sirius to see him laying on the bed. "Really? You just lay on my bed. I don't know where you've been", I said.

"I'm not filthy, Haylie", Sirius said.

Is he serious?

"Sirius, look-look at your jacket. It looks like it has fleas", I said. "Every time I see you, you wear the same jacket".

"If you think I never take it off, I do. Just because you're not around-"

"Take the jacket off", I said.

Sirius rolled his eyes. He took off his jacket. I turned away quickly.

"You're not wearing a shirt. What happened to your shirt?" I asked, not feeling uncomfortable and shaky.

"I wasn't going to wear a prison uniform", Sirius said.

I grabbed one of my trench coats and threw it to him. I pointed my wand at the glass cup and spoke a water spell.

"Does everyone know about the Yule ball?" Sirius asked.

"No, not yet. Mcgonagall is going to tell them tomorrow", I said. I gave Sirius the cup in my hand.

"I assume you're going to ask someone to the dance".

"I used to fancy someone, but he has a girlfriend now and I'm two years older than him", I said. I sat next to Sirius.

"What's his name?"

"Cedric Diggory. He's in Hufflepuff. I met him on the train during my third year. It was his first year at Hogwarts. I had fancied him in my 5th year, but then I finished school and...we hadn't spoken until this year, on the train", I explained.

"I'm sorry. Perhaps I could stay with you up here during the Yule Ball", Sirius said.

"Sirius, I don't want you to get thrown into Azkaban again. You must be careful", I said.

"I will. I promise", Sirius said.

"Don't make promises you can't keep. I'm already scared for you. There was a report that you killed someone last week and I know it wasn't you".

Sirius pulled me into a hug. "I'll be alright. I'll be safe for you and for Harry", he said.

This made a feel better. An image popped up in my head. An image of me dancing at the Yule Ball, with Sirius.

As happy as it was, I shook it out of my head. I had just noticed the tattoos on Sirius's chest.

"Whoa", I said softly. I put my hand over one of his tattoos. "I hear these are painful. Does it hurt when I touch one?"

"It only hurts when you first get them", Sirius said. I looked at him. This is the first time I noticed the color of his eyes. The were grey. They reminded me of the moon.

I looked down at his tattoos. I wonder if I could get one without Dad finding out.

"Perhaps, I won't be attending the Yule Ball. After all, I'm not student anymore", I said. "But I can't ask you to stay here for me. You could get caught".

"I know, but I don't want you to be alone. I know the feeling all to well. I don't want you to feel that same way", Sirius says.

"I'll be fine, really. Lila-my sister-she wants me to help her find a date. So, I'll have something to think about. On Yule Ball night, I'll be going to bed early so I'm not bored and so I won't be tired on Christmas", I explained.

"You seem to have your whole month planned out".

"Most of the month. After Christmas, I don't know what I'm going to do. I'll write to Tonks. Your cousin has been busy with Shacklebolt and the Prime Minister".

I looked at the tattoos on Sirius's stomach. "This one is a symbol of Grey Wolf", I said, a bit quietly.

"Have you been able to sleep?" Sirius asked.

"No. I've been having nightmares for weeks", I said.

"You should lay down", Sirius says.

I laid down on my bed. Sirius laid down next to me.

"I don't want to leave you, but we both know if I stay, that's a risk", Sirius said.

"The good thing about my dad is he doesn't hover. So, we won't have to worry about him barging in unless I scream", I said.

"Haylie, I can't stay".

"I'll make sure you're out before-"

"I can't stay".

I couldn't look him in the eyes. I looked at his tattoos instead. I began to find them...intriguing.

"Haylie, look at me", Sirius said. I looked at him. "This won't be our lives forever. I will get my name cleared. I'll get to stay longer and we won't have to meet in secret".

"When you're a free man, you and I can walk into Hogwarts together. I'm sure it would be nice to walk through the doors as a free man", I said.

Sirius nodded. "It would be lovely. I'll finally be free. I'll finally be welcome at the place I love most", he said.

"And I'll take you to the Three Broomsticks. We can get two butterbeers. And then, we'll go wherever you'd like", I said.

"Thank you, Haylie".

"For what?"

"For making me feel less lonely while I'm on the run".

I smiled. Sirius was the last face I saw before my eyes shut and I drifted off to sleep.