2.8

On the night of the Yule ball, I stayed in my room. I would've loved to see my sister dance with her date, but I couldn't bear to see Cedric with Cho.

I closed my door and locked it. I got into bed with the stuffed bear that Sirius gave me.

When I drifted to sleep, I had a nightmare.

Cedric was laying dead on the ground. I was screaming for him to wake up.

"Cedric! Wake up. Please. Cedric! No!"

"Haylie! Haylie!"

I opened my eyes. I saw Sirius. He sat on the side of the bed, eyeing me worriedly.

"I thought the teddy bear would work. I guess not", Sirius said.

I embrace him in a tight grip, sobbing into Sirius's shoulder.

"Shh. It's okay. It's okay. It's just a dream. You're safe", Sirius says softly.

"It was horrible", I said. The crying made my voice sound soft.

"It's over now", Sirius said.

I didn't want to let go of him. I felt safe as he held me close. I always felt safe around him. Safer than I felt with my Father or Cedric. I felt like if I let go now, Sirius would disappear.

"Wait, Sirius. You can't be here. You could get caught", I said.

"Everyone's downstairs. And I don't want you to be alone. I'll leave before the Ball is over. I promise. Besides, what's life without a little risk", Sirius said.

Sirius gave me a cup of water. I drank it all quickly.

"Do you want to tell me what happened in this dream of yours?" Sirius asked.

"Cedric dies. He dies and I felt like it was my fault", I said.

"He's not going to die. He's downstairs, isn't he?" Sirius asked. I nodded. "He's dancing and having the time of his life. He's alright and alive".

"It felt so real", I said.

"Nightmares are dreams that like to scare us. That's all they are. When you wake, you realize none of it is real. When you wake up, you realize it's all just a bad dream".

His words were so...poetic.

Sirius walked over to the mini fridge. I held the teddy bear close to me. Sirius laid a box of cauldron cakes on my bed along with a muggle food called...Marc and Cheese. Or was it Mac and Chess?

As we ate, we were lost in conversation.

"I have a question for you", I said.

"Ask away", Sirius said.

"Do you have any siblings?" I asked.

"I do. Um, I did. My brother, Regulus. He was 2 years younger. He was our parents favorite. Then, he got himself killed", Sirius said. He said softly, "Stupid idiot".

"I'm sure it was hard for you", I said.

"Of course it was. When he died-"

"You felt responsible", I guessed. Sirius nodded. I grabbed Sirius's hand. "I'm sorry".

I ate a spoon full of Marco and Chess. Or was it Mac and Cheese? No, I think it was Marco and Chess.

"I wanted to ask. Did you know my Father was a Death Eater?" I asked.

"I did. I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want to ruin the relationship you have with your father. I could tell you looked up to him", Sirius said.

"I guess it makes sense why you wouldn't tell me. But I still had a right to know. Even my sister knew and she didn't tell me", I said. "What is the name of this? That we're eating?"

"I don't know. I think Muggles call it Marco and Chess", Sirius said, starring at the yellow, creamy food in the bowl.

"I thought so", I said. I pointed my wand at the mini fridge. "Accio Bertie Botts".

A box of Bertie Botts every flavour beans flew out of the fridge.

"Bone Apple Teeth", I said.

"It's Bon Appetit", Sirius said.

"Is that how it goes?" I asked.

"Yes".

"I want you to know, Sirius, that I didn't have much friends during my time here. Cedric was the only friend I had during my time at Hogwarts. And when I'm with you, you make me feel...like I'm not alone", I said, confessing how I felt about our friendship.

Sirius smiled. "And you, Haylie, make being on the run feel less lonely", he said.

I smiled back. "It's almost time for the second task. I keep forgetting about it. It slips my mind", I said.

"Right. The second task", Sirius said. I could tell by the sound of his voice, he was worried.

"I'm one of the judges for the competition. I won't let anything happen to Harry", I said.

"Thank you for looking after him", Sirius said.

"He's a good kid. He should be having a peaceful life instead of worrying someone might kill him".

"Haylie, you have no idea how thankful I am to have you in my life".

"Well, I'm thankful that you arrange meetings for us even though you're on the run. And thank you for waking me up from that nightmare".

"You were screaming. I couldn't bear the sound of you in pain", Sirius said. He grabbed my hand. "If anything happens, if you need someone to talk to, you can talk to me".

"I know", I said.

"I should go", Sirius said.

"Already?" I asked. I didn't want him to leave. It can't be time.

"I promised you I would leave before the Ball ends", Sirius said.

I nodded. "Right", I said.

Sirius hugged me. "Write to me when you're feeling lonely", he said. I nodded.

"Let me open the-" I got up and walked towards the window, I tripped on the suitcase on the ground. Before I hit the ground, Sirius caught me.

I stood up straight. "Thank you", I said. I opened the windows. I felt the urge to grab him and beg him not to leave so I stepped away from Sirius.

Sirius grabbed the broom he came in with. He looked back at me and winked. I watched as he jumped out the window and flew away on his broom.