2.7

Ever since Mcgonagall's announcement, the Yule Ball was all anyone talked about.

Lila wasn't sure who to ask out. I, for one, didn't care if anyone asked me. I wanted to be with Cedric, but he was with Cho Chang. I can't compete with her.

I was in the Great Hall, sitting at the front of the room and reading a book. I was sitting on the steps that led to the Staff's table when Fred and George came over and sat next to me.

"Hello Haylie", Fred and George said in union.

"Hello Boys", I said, looking up from my book.

"We can't wait to see you at the Yule Ball", One of the twins said.

"I'm not going", I said.

They both looked at Cedric, who was sitting with his friends. "I hear he's going with Cho Chang", One of the twins said.

"That's why I'm not going", I said, looking away from Cedric. "Besides, I'm an adult now. And he's still a Hogwarts student".

"Well, you can't tell us..."

"...you don't have anything going on..."

"...With a certain guy".

"I lied when I said there was someone else. There isn't. I'm 19, I'm an Auror and I don't need to date right now", I said.

"Sounds like a good choice".

I turned around to see Mad-eye standing behind us.

"Haylie, you're one of the best Aurors we got. Don't get distracted by silly things", Mad-eye said.

I nodded. "I understand, sir", I said.

--

It was a few weeks til the Yule ball. I walked into my room to see a present on my bed.

Is this a prank from the Weasley twins?

I looked at the box. The tag on the top said,

"To: Haylie Snape, From: Snuffles".

Snuffles? Was this from Sirius?

I opened up the box to see a stuffed bear. Next to it was a note.

Dear Haylie,

I know you've been having trouble sleeping. I give you my favorite childhood toy in hopes that it will ease you and help you sleep through the night.

-Padfoot

I grabbed the teddy bear out of the box. I held it close to my chest. It suddenly felt like I was ten times safer.

I walked over to my desk and worked on a letter. I went to the Owlrey to deliver my letter.

I went back to my room and read for a few hours. Then, Lila barged into my room.

"Lila, knock!" I complained.

"Haylie, no", Lila said in the same tone. "Guess who asked me out". Lila jumped with excitement.

"Zachariah Smith?" I asked.

"What? No", Lila said. "Fred Weasley".

"You sound excited", I said with a smile.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Are you excited because maybe you fancy him?" I asked.

Lila didn't say anything. She looked at the ground as she blushes.

"Maybe", Lila said.

"Aw. Lila Weasley", I said.

This is the cutest thing. My little sister has a crush.

"Aw. Haylie Diggory", Lila said.

I glared at Lila. "Get out", I said, pointing at the door. Lila smiled as she walked out of my room.

"Close my door!" I shouted.

The door slammed.

--

I was walking down the hall that night. Suddenly, someone grabbed me and pinned me against the wall.

"You must have it", Igor Karkaroff said.

"Let me go", I snapped. I pushed Karkaroff away.

"You have it, don't you?"

"Have what? What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Maybe your father isn't as good as you believe", Karkaroff said. I slapped him in the face.

"Stay away from me", I snapped.

Karkaroff grabbed me and slammed me against the wall. "Watch your back, girl. Your enemy could be someone you trust". And with that, Igor Karkaroff walked away.

I walked the opposite direction. I got to my father's classroom to hear chattering. I opened the door.

I saw my father speaking with Dumbledore. Father lifted one of his sleeves to reveal a tattoo.

The Dark Mark, the symbol of the Dark Lord, Voldemort and his Death Eaters.

A gasp slipped. Dumbledore and Father looked at me.

"You're with Voldemort?" I asked. Father looked at me sadly.

"Haylie, your father betrayed Voldemort. Don't be afraid", Dumbledore said.

I looked at Dad. "I don't know what to say", I admitted. "You're the kindest man I'd known during my childhood. You taught me most of what I know. And this whole time, you were Death Eater? Does Lila know?"

"Yes", Dad said.

"And none of you told me", I said.

"I didn't want you to fear me or to hate me", Dad says.

"I'm not scared of you. I'm scared for you. For you and Lila. And I definitely don't hate you. I love you, Dad. Whatever you are, whatever you do, that's never going to change", I said.

Father walked closer to me. He pulled me into a hug. He kissed my head.

"I don't want you to get this mark? Do you hear me?" Father asked.

"Yes", I said, nodding.

"I don't want you to think you have to get it to make me proud. And I definitely don't want you to go down that Dark Path", Dad said.

"Trust me, I don't want that mark or that path", I said. "Dad, I love you. You know that, right?"

"Yes", Dad said softly. "And I love you. I love you and your sister".