2.11

When I woke up, I heard Dumbledore and Fudge arguing. I was about to shout at them for waking me up, but I heard Dumbledore say, "Voldemort has returned".

I looked at him in shock. I saw Dumbledore, Cornelius Fudge, My Father and Professor Mcgonagall in the room.

"What?" I asked. Everyone looked at me. I looked at Harry. I wanted to shout at Dumbledore and Fudge for waking him up too, but curiosity filled my mind.

"He killed Cedric, didn't he?" I asked. Harry nodded.

"No. He is not back", Fudge said.

"He has returned. If you expect that fact straight away, Fudge, and take the neccessary measures, we may still be able to save the situation. The first and most essential step is to remove Azkaban from the control of the Dementors", Dumbledore said.

I looked at Padfoot. He seemed to have moved closer to my leg when Dumbledore mentioned Azkaban.

I touched Padfoot's head. He looked at me. I smiled at him reassuringly.

"Preposterous! Remove the Dementors? I'd be kicked out of office for suggesting it. Half of us only feel safe in our beds at night because we know the Dementors are standing guard at Azkaban", Fudge said.

"The rest of us sleep less soundly in our beds Cornelius, knowing that you have put Voldemort's most dangerous supporters in the care of Creatures who will join him the instant he asks them. They will not remain loyal to you, Fudge".

Why wouldn't Fudge listen? Why is he being so stubborn.

"Voldemort can offer them much more scope for their powers and pleasures than you can. With the Dementors behind him and his old supporters returned to him, you will be hard pressed to stop him regaining the sort of power he had 13 years ago".

Fudge didn't speak. I could tell he was trying to argue with Dumbledore, but couldn't find anything to say. It doesn't mean he believes him though.

Why bother with Fudge?

"The second step you must take and at once, is to send envoys to the giants", Dumbledore said.

"Envoys to the giants?" Fudge asked in rage. "What madness is this?"

"Extend them the hand of friendship now before it's too late. Or Voldemort will persuade them as he did before. That he alone, among Wizards, will give them their rights and their freedom".

"You can not be serious", Fudge said. "If the Magical community got wines that I had approached the giants-"

"You seem to be making this about your appearance", I said. "So the way you appear to society is more important than-?"

"You will stay out of this, you stupid little girl", Fudge said, interrupting me.

Padfoot growled at Fudge. Fudge looked at the dog. "Shh. It's okay", I said. Padfoot looked at me. "I'm okay".

"You are blinded. By the love of the office you hold, Cornelius. You place too much importance and you always have done on the so called purity of blood. You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be. Your Dementor has just destroyed the last remaining member of a Pureblood family as old as any and see what that man chose to make of his life. I tell you now, take the steps that I have suggested and you will be remembered in office or out as one of the bravest and greatest Ministers of magic we have ever known. Fail to act and history will remember you as the man who stepped aside and allowed Voldemort a second chance to destroy the world we have tried to rebuild".

Fudge wouldn't refuse the popularity. Right?

"Insane. Mad", Fudge said.

There was silence. I guess he would refuse.