Chapter 5: Heaven on Earth

Hye Jin's POV

That army green jacket.

"No... No... No!" I scream. I thrash my way towards the rescuers, pushing everyone out of the way. I feel like I've been suspended off a cliff and I have to claw my way up in order to stop myself from plunging downwards.

"Chief Hong! Jagiya!" I cry as I reach the man in the stretcher. I cry and grab the man lying on the stretcher.

"Oh?" I gasp. Taking a closer look, I realise the man lying on the stretcher is not Du Sik.

"What?" I mutter. I'm completely at a loss. It's unmistakably Du Sik's jacket.

But where is Du Sik?

"Please take care of my friend. He took in a lot of sea water." A familiar voice rings behind me.

It's like the heavens have opened.

I whirl around to look at the man standing behind me.

His wet hair has been plastered down to his forehead from the heavy rain. His clothes stick to his body. He places a hand over his eyes, shielding them from the rain. And then his sight falls on me.

"Oh? Hye Jin?" He calls my name. He breaks into a smile.

Every single one of my bones turns to liquid. Relief washes over me like a clean bathe.

"Jagiya!" I cry out and run towards him. My body slams into him and we almost fall over.

Du Sik's POV

Hye Jin flies into my arms and wraps her arms tightly around me.

"Oh!" I say, surprised. "Hye Jin ah, are you okay?" I ask her. Her body is wrecked by sobs and she's shaking like a leaf. My arm goes protectively around her. I rub her back, trying to soothe her.

"I WAS SO SCARED! YOU SCARED ME TO DEATH!" She cries. "I was so scared something had happened to you."

I smile and fasten my grip around her, letting her know that I'm alright.

"Don't cry," I coax, stroking her hair. "I'm okay. Look at me. See? I'm perfectly fine." I draw back and let her see my face.

Her eyes are puffy with redness and she lets out a sigh of relief.

Her eyes scan my entire being.

"Are you hurt!" She asks, alarmed when she sees blood seeping from my lower arm.

"Oh this? It's nothing." I turn my arm away from Hye Jin. "Don't worry, Hye Jin. It's just a small scratch." I assure her.

"JUST A SMALL SCRATCH?" She almost explodes. "THIS is a small scratch? You're bleeding!"

"Come on! Let's go!" She says and shoves me in the direction of my house.

~

"Ah... it's that red antiseptic solution again?" I say fearfully as I look at the antiseptic that Hye Jin draws from her first aid kit. "It really stings...a lot... " I complain.

"If I had the choice, I would have you in the hospital right now. And I'd ask the doctors to give you a million nutrition jabs." Hye Jin says.

"Now, let me see your arm." She says in her doctor voice. Reluctantly, I show my arm to her. She peels my sleeve away gently and looks at the wound.

"It's not as bad as it seems." I try to add when I see her face contort in dismay.

"Stay still. And don't scream." Hye Jin instructs.

My defensive instincts as tingling as the cotton swab, soaked in burning antiseptic, moves towards my wound.

"Ah!" I jump in shock as a shock touches my wound. It's how I imagine an electrocute would feel like.

"I'm sorry! I'm trying to be as gentle as I can." Hye Jin says and blows softly only my wound.

I smile, looking at her.

"I'm sorry. For worrying you." I say quietly. She raises her eyes to look at me.

"You almost scared me to death." She says.

"It won't happen again." I reassure her. I draw her into my arms and she leans into them.

"Oh my, you're so cold!" Hye Jin says. "You need to bathe and change into warm clothes." She hastily draws me to the toilet.

"What about you? You're also drenched." I say.

"No, no. I'm okay. I'll wash up after you, okay?" She says.

"At least," I reach for the thickest towel. "Stay a bit drier." I wrap it around her.