Chapter 44: 1pm

Du Sik's POV

I whistle happily as I paint the walls with a mellow shade of baby blue. Excitement has worked its way up into my chest and I can't stop beaming. My mind starts running on imagination as I imagine playing with my baby in this room, putting him to sleep and reading to him. The thought makes my heart leap.

Taking a break, I reach out to call Hye Jin. I want to hear her voice.

"That's weird." I say when the call doesn't go through. "Maybe she's still working." I say, glancing at the clock. It's 1pm.

"Aish, how can she skip lunch." I sigh.

I jump slightly as my phone rings. It's an unknown number.

"Hello?" I pick up the phone.

"Hello? Is this Hong Du sik?"

"Yes, that's me."

"Hello Mr Hong, do you remember me? I'm the owner of Jing Jing petrol kiosk."

"Oh yes, that's right." I say sitting up straight. "You got the names out?" I ask him.

"Yes I do. But I also wanted to let you know that the man you're looking for came over this morning." The owner says.

"What?" I ask and shudder suddenly. An eerie sensation creeps over my shoulder like a cold hand.

"Yes, apart from buying kerosene several weeks ago. He came over to buy chlorine gas this morning."

"Chlorine gas?" I spit the words out.

"Um, yes." The owner says.

"I see. Thank you." I say quickly before hanging up and sprinting out of the house.

"Pick up, pick up! Please pick up!" I beg as I race down the streets. I try calling Hye Jin and with every second of unresponsiveness that passes by, my heart beats harder and harder with fear.

Eun chul's POV

"Hello?" I answer my phone as I get a call from Du sik.

"Eun chul!" Du sik exclaims into the phone with a breathless voice. The tone of urgency in his voice is frightening.

"Oh, Chief Hong, what is it?" I ask.

"We need," he pants. "You need to get to Hye Jin's clinic right now." He exclaims.

"What is it?" I say as I grab my walkie talkie and signal to Ha tae to follow me. We race into the car while I listen to Du sik on the other end.

"The suspect. That guy. He did buy kerosene and he bought chlorine gas just this morning." Du sik struggles to speak.

"Chlorine gas? Isn't that the thing that knocks people out?" I ask, feeling my head spin. I gesture to Ha tae to step on the brakes and the police sirens can be heard.

"Yes. And Hye Jin is not picking up." Du sik says.

"Wait a second. I will ask Mi seon." I say and quickly change the call to Mi seon.

"Hello?" Mi seon sounds happy when she answers the phone.

Mi seon ah, are you with Hye Jin?" I ask her.

"No, why?" Mi seon asks.

As I explain what Du sik told me, I hear Mi seon breathe heavily and pant as she sprints towards the clinic.

All three of us - Du Sik, Mi seon and I - all rush over to Yoon Dental Clinic.

Yoon Dental Clinic

The air in the clinic is still and foggy. Not a single thing moves, including the girl that sleeps in the waiting room. The clouds cover the sun and it casts a misty grey shadow over the clinic.

The doors open slowly as a man dressed in a full body of black enters. A cap shields his face and a gas mask conceals hints of his nose and mouth.

He steps in gingerly and peers around at the empty clinic. His eyes shift to the sleeping girl. A small glint of vengeance flies across his eyes. He looks around once more.

His hands are covered in black gloves and he reaches out. His hands clasp around the sleeping girl's throat.

She cough softly and struggles weakly against the pressure on her throat.

"Help..." She whispers faintly