Chapter 6: My Lullaby

Du Sik's POV

Soon, we're in warm dry clothes. The storm still rages but it isn't so bad now that we're in the safety of the house and in the security of each other.

"Are you hungry? I'll whip something up." I ask her, noticing her pale lips.

"It's okay. I can do the cooking. You must be exhausted." She says.

"Oh no, it's okay. I can't let you burn down my kitchen." I laugh.

"YA!" Hye Jin slaps my arm. "In this terrible weather, even if I set your kitchen on fire, the rain will take care of it immediately." She laughs.

~

Hye Jin polishes off two bowls of porridge.

"Aren't you hungry?" Hye Jin asks me, looking at my bowl.

"I don't have much of an appetite." I say.

"I think it's from the exhaustion of today." She says thoughtfully.

"I know what you need." She says and beckons me to follow her.

"Hmm... let me see..." Hye Jin says as she scans my bookshelf. "Ah! This one looks good!" She says and picks one from the shelf.

"Come on, lie down." She says.

I rest my head on her lap and lie on the couch.

"... the crystals of your eyes are like a thousand fireflies. The sound of your voice, like a gentle breeze against my heart. Deeper and deeper I go, plunging, swimming into this vastness that you've given me..." Hye Jin's voice is like a sweet melody.

Though fatigue pulls at every part of my being, it still doesn't reach the threshold where sleep overtakes me. My mind still remains sharp. I shift restlessly on Hye Jin's lap.

"Are you having trouble falling asleep?" Hye Jin asks me.

"Orh." I sigh and sit up.

"I think it must be the adrenaline..." Hye Jin says thoughtfully. "Hmm... I guess a story isn't enough to cut it..." She sighs.

"Do you want some milk with sugar?" She suggests.

I laugh. "When did I become Oh Ju Ri."

"Come on," I get up and hold out my hand to Hye Jin.

"Oh?" Hye Jin asks and follows me.

We go to my room and I ask her to lie down next to me.

"This will help you sleep?" Hye Jin asks me as she lays her head on my arm.

"Of course. You are a very comforting presence." I say happily. Already, a restfulness draws over my body like a healing balm.

Hye Jin smiles and leans in closer to me.

"Have a good rest, Jagiya." Hye Jin whispers, before sleep descends upon me like a heavy blanket.