Chapter 35: Pabo

Du Sik's POV

Before heading back to the hospital with Hye Jin's overnight bag, I stop by the police station to find Eun chul.

"Hello," I greet as I step into the police station.

"Oh, Chief Hong!" Eun chul looks up from the computer screen. "Come! I need to show you something." He says quickly and beckons me to come to his desk.

"Oh? What is it?" I ask as I peer at what Eun chul has displayed on his computer screen. It appears to be some CCTV footage of various places in Gongjin.

"Did you find something?" I ask, suddenly feeling a touch of urgency. Eun chul nods and looks at me with eyes of laser pointer focus.

"Here, look at this." He says as he holds up the report from the forensic department.
"What is this?" I ask, scanning the paper.

"This. Over here." Eun chul points to a column titled 'Combustible Agents'. "Ha tae thought it was strange that there was a strange odour in the air even after the fire had dwindled down and most of the smoke had cleared. "So we took a sample of it and had it tested in the labs." Eun chul says, tracing his pen across the report.

"And they found residual gas in the air. The sort of gas that is released after one has burnt a combustible agent like kerosene." Eun chul says and frowns.

I look at him with wide eyes.

"Did you say kerosene?" I ask and take a closer look at the report. My eyes don't deceive me. The evidence is on the report.

"But why? Why would there be kerosene?" I gasp in horror.

"It could have been a freak accident that there was a kerosene spill," Eun chul says and rubs the back of his neck. "But we hunted the whole area and couldn't find a single kerosene bottle. And anyway, those are always kept in safety boxes." Eun chul says sternly.

"So it really is a case of arson." I say and feel a light of anger ignite within me. Eun chul nods gravely.

Hye Jin isn't safe. My wife and now, my baby are both not safe.

The thought is horrifying and it feels like a steel clamp has clasped itself around my head. I feel the air around me turn solid. The thought of anything happening to Hye Jin... No. I won't let it happen. I can't let it happen. An initial feeling of fear gnaws at my chest but it's quickly replaced by a burn of anger.

"I have a favour to ask." I tell Eun chul.

"What is it?" Eun chul asks.

"Don't tell Hye Jin about this. I don't want her to be worried." I say.

~

"Hye Jin ah?" I smile at her as I enter the ward. My hands are full with her overnight bag and some porridge that I made for her.

Hye Jin sits in the bed and when she looks up at me, her eyes are suddenly filled with tears. Red rims surround her eyes.

"What is it? Why are you crying?" I gasp, immediately worried. I drop everything and rush over to her side.

"What is it?" I ask her as I wipe the tears away from her eyes. "Does something hurt?" I ask her, scanning her up and down, left to right, checking whether she's suffered from any injuries.

Hye Jin tries to open her mouth and speak but the corners of my mouth trembles and renders her unable to articulate a word. I look at her with an anxious expression and hold her hand, trying to help her calm down.

Her hand goes over the bandage that wraps around my arm.

"Pabo..." Hye Jin cries and her face is pulled with a strained expression from crying.