Chapter 8: Shared Keys

Hye Jin's POV

I slept for a full day. I only wake up for short moments when Du Sik nudges me awake to take my medication, to take in a few spoonfuls of porridge and before I know it, my eyes are heavy and I fall back to sleep.

I know the fever is leaving my system when I wake up and actually feel awake. The awful throbbing at the back of my head is no longer there and the corners of my vision are less fuzzy. My hungry stomach now makes a low rumble.

"Are you awake?" Du Sik pokes his head into the room.
"Orh." I sit up and smile at him.

"Let me see..." Du Sik says. He sits on the bed opposite me and places a hand on my head. "Mmm, good. I think the fever is subsiding."

My stomach growls. Du Sik smiles. He heard my stomach growl too.

"Come on, you need to eat something. You ate so little the entire day. You must be famished." Du Sik holds out a hand to me. "Are you okay to walk?" He asks.

I nod and take his hand gratefully. He walks me out to the living room slowly.

"Oh my!" I exclaim as I catch a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror.

"Why?" Du Sik spins around to look at me, shocked.

"MY FACE!" I yelp. I let go of Du Sik's hand to cover my face.

"Why? What happened to your face?" Du Sik tries to push my hands away from my face to see what I'm covering.

"... I'm not wearing any makeup..." I say quietly. Du Sik laughs. I let him take my hand and draw it away from my face.

"AIGOO!" He exclaims dramatically. "You are too radiant. It hurts my eyes." Du Sik laughs and pretends to shield his eyes. "You are too beautiful, I can't look at you."

"What?" I can't hide my laughter. I pretend to punch his arm. "Don't tease me." I laugh.

"I really mean it." Du Sik brushes hair away from my face. "You really are beautiful, with or without makeup." He says sincerely.

I smile at him. Blood rushes up my cheeks, all the way to the tip of my ears.

"Jiang." Du Sik says as he gives me a bowl of chicken porridge.

"Wah, it smells good." I say and dig into it greedily.
"Eat slowly." Du Sik smiles and reaches out to wipe stray rice grains away from my mouth. "If not you'll get an upset stomach."

"Jagiya," I start.

"Yes?"

"When did you learn to cook so well?" I ask.

"I liked to watch my grandpa cook. He'd sing folk songs while stirring a pot of soup. I liked being in the kitchen with him." Du Sik smiles with a hint of sentiment in his eyes. "And when Ms Gam-ri fed me, I always felt bad that she was making extra meals for me. So I'd help her in the kitchen. You know, cut vegetables, watch the pot for her, throw in spices." Du Sik's eyes swell with warmth.

"And also... I'm naturally gifted at many things." Du Sik adds with a cheeky smile. I laugh.

"Ah, that reminds me." Du Sik gets up and takes a box from the table.

"Mi Seon brought some of your things over. She thought that you'd need them." He places the box on my lap.

"Wah, Mi Seon ah, thank you." I look through the box. Yes! Fresh clothes... and my makeup bag!

"Hye Jin ah," Du Sik says. I look up at him. He moves closer to me.

"I want to ask you something." He says.

"What is it?" I ask.

Du Sik draws the box away from my lap and holds my hand in his.

"Instead of having Mi Seon having to deliver things back and forth. And instead of having to say goodbye to you every night, I want to say goodnight to you each night. Will you move in with me?" Du Sik asks me.

My heart melts. It feels like someone has poured a warm pot of honey and I'm overflowing with sweetness.

"Of course." I almost cry. Du Sik beams at me. I love the way he smiles. It's as if his whole face has come to life. His eyes shine like the brightest star in the night sky and his cute dimples come out to play. He holds my face in his hands and leans in to kiss me.

"Ah! You can't kiss me," I cover my mouth with my hands. "You'll get my germs." I say.

Du Sik leans in and plants a kiss on my lips.

"Worth it." He winks.
My heart flutters and I can't believe how lucky I am.