Chapter 12: Tomorrow

Hye Jin's POV

"So, are you excited for tomorrow?" Mi Seon grins at me.

The day has finally come. Tomorrow I will officially become Du Sik's wife. And he will be my husband. Tonight, I'm sleeping in my old house with Mi Seon. It's like a bridesmaid party. Then tomorrow, we will all head off to Seoul, where I will say my vows and marry the one who makes my heart leap and soar.

"Time flies by so fast. I can't believe it's tomorrow!" I say. "I can't believe I'm getting married tomorrow!" I squeal happily. Mi Seon and I exclaim in excitement.

"Okay, so for tonight, we are going to transform this whole place into a spa!" Mi Seon gestures to the living room. "Face mask, hair mask, manicure. Everything! Tomorrow you will be the most beautiful bride ever!" Mi Seon says dramatically.

Soon, we have clay masks on our faces, nutrition supplements in our hair and we're soaking our hands in exfoliation solutions.

"Ah... I feel so relaxed." I say happily.

"Don't you just love life." Mi Seon says with contentment.

"I do, I really do." I say.

It's unreal when I think about all the steps that led me towards Du Sik. I never expected that I would have opened a dental clinic in Gongjin and let alone meet the most kind, genuine man whom I call my best friend and my beloved. It's incredible how there seems to be small gears at work, turning and moving people and things, so that you meet the right person at the right place and right time.

My heart is so full.

"Oh, that reminds me." Mi Seon gets up and retrieves a pretty black gift box with a pink ribbon on it.

"Just an early wedding gift," she smiles as she hands it to me. There's a mischievous glitter in her eye.

"Ooh! What's this!" I look at it with wide eyes. "Can I open it now?" I ask.

"Of course." Mi Seon smiles.

"I got you something very very essential." Mi Seon continues as I wipe my hands dry to open the gift.

"WHAT!" My eyes almost pop out.

I get a shock when I hold up what lies in the box. It takes me a moment to figure out what it is.

Mi Seon has got me a set of black lace lingerie. There's so little fabric... I couldn't even tell it was meant to be worn.

"Oh my..." I look at Mi Seon in disbelief. I can feel my cheeks growing red and warm. Thank goodness the face mask is hiding my blushed cheeks. Mi Seon laughs happily.

"I'm telling you," she says matter-of-factly, "VERY essential." She says cheekily.

"Ya!" I yell at her and pretend to punch her. We both laugh heartily.

"But thank you, though." I say and I place the thing back in the gift box.

"I've always been very curious," Mi Seon says as she inches closer to me.

"Is Chief Hong good in bed?" She asks.

I almost choke on my own spit.

~

Du Sik's POV

I pace up and down in the living room. I'm so restless tonight, I can't seem to catch a single wink. My whole body is awake and bursting with energy.

I'm marrying Hye Jin tomorrow.

That thought alone is like drinking a thousand coffees and I have energy to keep me going for the next century.

The bed also feels empty without her here tonight. I keep reaching out, looking for her, as part of habit only to remember that she's staying at her old place tonight.

I look at the row of photos on my desk. Grandpa, Ms Gam ri and Jeong u.

I pause to glance at the photos, to look at their smiling faces.

"Grandpa, Ms Gam ri, Hyung, I wish you were here with me." I say wistfully. I know Grandpa dreamt and prayed for this day. The day his grandson gets married and that he'll be assured that I'll never be alone. At least Ms Gam ri got to see Hye Jin and I together and she can pass into the better place with peace in her heart.

"Hyung, I would have loved to introduce her to you. I know you'd like her a lot." I say to Jeong-u's photo. "Ha rang really likes her a lot." I feel a tear fall from my face.

But it's not sad tears. It's no longer tears of regret as they used to be in the past. It's tears that say I know you're here with me even though I can't see you. But I know you're here with me.

I look upon the faces of the people who are family and close to my heart.

Soon, I will have someone new to call my family. My wife.

I look upon the faces of the people who have loved me so much and in turn, have taught me how to return this love to those around me.

"Do not worry about me. I am so happy. I'm so happy that sometimes I can't believe it's my reality." I say to them. The best thing I can do as a responsible grandson, son and brother is to reassure them that they need not worry about me. It's almost as if I can feel grandpa, Ms Gam ri and Hyung smiling upon me in response. 

Tears of comfort well up in my eyes.