Chapter 11: Autumn Leaves & Wishes

Hye Jin's POV

"Seoul National University?" I ask as Du Sik drives through the entrance of his old university. "What are we doing here?" I ask him. Du Sik has been keeping it a surprise for the whole trip and I'm bursting with anticipation.

The campus is beautiful. The trees are covered with leaves that are of a burnt orange and muted yellow tone and they line the driveway neatly. Groups of students walk by, carrying books and laptops. Impressive tall buildings, studded with windows, tower over us. There's something about going back to a school campus that makes you feel young again. 

"Wah, this is where you studied?" I ask as Du Sik parks the car.

"Yes, I spent my days here studying for very long hours in the library." He says.

"Really? Studying for long hours, or looking at girls for long hours?" I tease him.

"Yah!" Du Sik laughs. "I was a really good student. I was a straight A student." He says proudly.

"Aigoo... Really? With this mischievous face?" I laugh. "Tell me," I start, with a mischievous glint in my eyes. "How many art major girls did you date?" I pretend to eye him suspiciously. Du Sik laughs and looks away.

"Hmm..." He pretends to count using his fingers. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7... "Zero!" He announces and holds up his hand in a zero shape.

"I really was too busy studying to even look at girls." Du Sik says. He takes my hand and leads me down a grassy path streaked with hints of autumn.

"Where are we going?" I ask him. He brings me to a garden which seems to house hundreds of strong trees. The trees are a kaleidoscope of the shades of autumn. Our feet crunch against the fallen leaves. A gentle breeze makes a rustling sound each time it passes through the branches.

"Close your eyes." Du Sik says, excitedly. I close my eyes and for just-in-case purposes, Du Sik covers my eyes with his hands.

"Just a few more steps. Three more steps..." He guides me. "Okay." Du sik sounds like he's bursting with excitement. "Open your eyes!"

"Jiang!" He exclaims as he lifts his hands off my eyes.

"Wah!" I gasp as I look around me. The trees that surround me are lined with strings and ribbons. The ribbons that loop around the tree carry small pieces of coloured paper. They appear to be wishes made by the students in the university. I read some of the writings on the papers.

"Let my family be in good health."

"May I get into the softball team."

"Please please let him ask me out."

"I want to meet Kim Seon Ho one day."

"What are all these?" I ask Du Sik. He puts an arm around my shoulder and looks around at the stunning sight. He exudes an aura of warmth as he stands in this stunning place.

"These are wishing trees," He explains. "It was a project done by my cohort. When we were freshmen, we planted these trees and they grew so majestically. Somewhere along the way, people started writing their wishes here for fun and soon, it became a tradition." He explains and smiles. Du sik looks so relaxed and at peace here. His dimples peek out, ready to play. The soft light illuminates his face and I can't help but lean in closer towards him. There's always an invisible force that pulls me closer and closer to him.

"Here." He says and pulls out a small card from his bag. He bends down and writes on the paper.
Hong Du Sik & Yoon Hye Jin for the rest of eternity

"Wah, you have such beautiful handwriting." I admire his writing.

"Told you I was a good student." Du sik smirks in an adorable manner. "One does not simply develop such nice handwriting unless they've written thousands of essays." Du Sik says proudly.

"Shall we?" He grins at me.

We attach the card to a string and tie it around the tree. It's amazing how there are thousands of cards and wishes on the tree, but my eye is automatically drawn to the one that bears our names. I stand there and find myself holding my breath. Everything about this place is just so magical.

Du Sik takes my hand and brings me closer to the tree.

"Look at this." He whispers. He has to push past several cards to reach one of them that is hidden beneath; one that is safely tucked in. He shows me a card that has been yellowed with age and time.

"I want to meet the girl from the beach again.'' The card reads.

I turn to look at Du Sik.

"Don't tell me..." I start. Du Sik's adorable dimples come out as he smiles at me.

"Yes. I wrote that card when I was a freshman here." Du Sik runs his hand through my hair as he speaks gently. His voice is like the gentle autumn breeze that caresses my face.
"I wanted to find the girl from the beach and make her laugh again. I wanted to make her smile again." He continues, immersed in the memory of our first encounter.

"You found me." I look up at Du Sik. I look into his beautiful eyes. There's so much love in his eyes. His gaze is like a warm embrace that surrounds me. It lifts me up and goes right into my heart.

Du Sik wraps his arms around me and for a second, we just sway along with the rhythmn of the wind. We soak in every bit of the beautiful scenery and look forward to every moment that we will spend together. Just me and the boy from the beach.