Chapter 49: Black Box

Du Sik's POV

I find myself in a dark room. Darkness surrounds me. Up, down, left, right, front, back. The dark surface beneath my feet feels cold. The air is stale. I feel like I've been enclosed in a tight room. A room with no door.

"Hye Jin?" I call and my voice echoes through the darkness. "Hye Jin ah?" I call again and look around. Fear creeps up my back like a cold hand. It feels like a thousand insects are scuttling over my skin and I shiver. Cold sweat slides down my temples. I suddenly feel so lost. Lost and trapped.

My nightmare is back.

And I have no idea how to escape it.

"Hye Jin ah?" I call again like a child lost in the woods.

A horrid scream breaks through the silence. It deafens my ears and I suddenly fall back in fear. An ominous feeling rises in me and chokes me.

The darkness closes in around me.

I clasp my throat, feeling the air drawn out of me. Hot tears flood my face.

"Hye Jin..." I cry.

"Jagiya! Jagi!"

My eyes snap open.

The chill of the nightmare still encapsulates me. The back of my neck is sticky with sweat. I wake up in a jolt.

I shake my head, getting the nightmare out of my head. As I look up, I think I must have transitioned to another dream. But it's a sweet dream this time.

Hye Jin sits up on the bed, looking at me. Her eyes are wide with concern.

"Jagiya?" She asks in a worried voice and brings her hand up to touch my face. My face is hot with fear.

I smile at her, thankful that I can at least see her in my dreams.

"Hye Jin ah," I say longingly. "I miss you so much." I whisper as I reach out to touch her. "Don't wake me up. I must be dreaming." I say.

"Huh?" Hye Jin asks me.

"Don't wake me up. I don't want to leave this dream." I say as I stroke her cheek gently, feeling her usual warmth.

"Jagiya?" Hye Jin asks, clearly confused. "What are you talking about?" She asks. "You're not dreaming." She says.

"Huh?" I ask, feeling my head start to ache.

"Look, you can feel me. Hm?" Hye Jin smiles at me and touches my hand. She holds my hand in hers. "You wouldn't be able to feel me if you were dreaming." She says.

I feel life rise up again in me.

"Hye Jin ah?" I say, shocked at the revelation. I feel her warmth against my skin. "Pinch my cheeks." I ask.

"What?" Hye Jin laughs softly.

She pinches my cheeks and I yelp in pain.

"Ah! That hurts!" I gasp. Hye Jin laughs as I fan my cheeks.

I look at her in awe.

"You're here? You're really here?" I almost cry. Hye Jin glows as she smiles.

"I'm here, silly." She laughs.

I sweep her in my arms in disbelief. Relief feels like refreshing waters that run over me. They course through my veins and give me life again.

"Hye Jin ah." I say, my voice is swelling with emotion. "You're okay." I gasp in disbelief as I hold her tightly in my arms.

Hye Jin tucks her face in my shoulder and the feeling of her in my arms sends every fear flying out of my chest.