Chapter 13: Soft Rays of Light

Du Sik's POV

I spring out of bed before my alarm can ring. I'm so excited. I'M SO EXCITED. TODAY IS THE DAY!

It's as if the universe got the message that a wedding is happening today because the weather is absolutely stunning. The light from the sun is soft and light. Dainty white clouds paint a harmonious picture across the sky. There's a hint of autumn and the scent of fallen leaves in the air.

I jump out of bed. Hye Jin will be meeting me to drive out to Seoul, along with the rest of our Gongjin friends who will be taking a bus we rented.

I can't wait to see her.

I can't wait to see my fiance. Who will soon be my wife.

~

"Jagiya!" Hye Jin squeals when she sees me approaching. Our Gongjin friends stand around her. Everyone is ready to head to Seoul.

I break into a run the moment I lay my eyes on Hye Jin. I spread my arms out and she crashes into them.

"Aiyo... You two act as if you haven't seen each other for several years." Hwa Jeong laughs at us as I hug Hye Jin tightly in my arms.

"You're right. I can't imagine how much these two are going to stick to each other once they are married." Nam suk adds.

It's true I only didn't see her for one night. But those fifteen hours were enough for me to miss her like crazy.

"I'm sorry," I laugh, keeping one arm around Hye Jin. "but we will be sticking together a lot more when we are married." I grin. Next to me, Hye Jin covers my mouth, trying to hide her laughter.

"Chief Hong, we are also here. How can you not hug us as well!" Chun jae teases and pretends to spread his arms out. Beside him, Ju ri wears a plain look of embarrassment.

"Ah, we will save the hugs for later." I laugh and put my arms out.

"Dr Yoon! Does this mean that you'll be Dr Hong after this?" Bo ra asks excitedly as she runs up to us.

"Bo ra, doctors always keep their maiden surnames." Il-jun says to Bo ra like a teacher would to a student.

"Oh... really? Why?" Bo ra asks in wonder. "Oh my, is it because doctors cannot get married? But Dr Yoon is getting married!" Bo ra exclaims, genuinely confused.

"No, it's not like that. Doctors keep their maiden surnames whether or not they get married." Il-jun facepalms himself.

"Ah..." Bo ra says slowly. But evidently, the gears are still turning in her head.

"Oh! Dr Yoon, did you know Seumseum let Il-jun hold him that day!" Bo ra claps her hands together happily.

"Wow, really?" Hye Jin smiles brightly. "Did you try holding Seumseum, Bo ra?" Hye Jin asks.

Bo ra pouts slightly and shakes her head.

"I think Seumseum only likes Il-jun..." She says enviously.

Il-jun pats her on the back affectionately.

"Don't worry Bo ra," he says comfortingly. "I'll tell Seumseum that you're my best friend. Then he'll let you hold him." Il-jun says.

Bo ra smiles and claps her hands together.

"Really?" She says. Il-jun smiles and nods his head.

"Unnie!" Ju ri runs over to us. "Unnie, later when you throw your bouquet, make sure that you toss it in my direction, okay?" She claps her hands together in a begging position.

"Why? Why are you in a hurry to get married?" Hye Jin laughs.

"I had a dream!" Ju ri says in a very intense tone. "I had a dream that I married JUNE oppa! And since we have an age gap, I decided that I can't make him wait for me. So I will marry him right away!" Ju ri says confidently.

"What?" I laugh and look at Ju ri in shock.

"I sometimes forget Ju ri is older than Bo ra." I whisper to Hye Jin. She tries to hide her laughter.

"Oh Ju ri, what about that boy you had a crush on? You almost had braces done just for him!" Hye Jin chides.

"Ah, Dae Hyun ah..." Ju ri's volume has dropped dramatically. "I realised..." She shakes her head vigorously. "He's really not that smart." She says matter-of-factly.

"What?" Hye Jin and I both say.

"Well, you see. I already know I wasn't born a good student. But that's okay because I'm going to be DOS's new stylist. But Dae Hyun has no ambition and no grades." Ju ri shrugs.

"Oh Ju ri, I didn't know that you think about such things at this age." Hye Jin laughs with amusement. "If you like someone, you like someone. It's plain and simple like that." She says.

I peer over at her and give her a look.

"What?" Hye Jin asks me.

"Mmm, I just suddenly remembered ever getting a lecture from someone about social positions before..." I smirk at Hye Jin.

"Ya!" Hye Jin punches my arm. "You still remember all that?!" She covers her face in embarrassment.

"Of course. I was so hurt that day." I pretend to faint.

Hye Jin narrows her eyes at me.

"Tell me the truth..." Her dimples flash out as she smiles. "Did you like me back then? You did, didn't you?" She grins at me.

I cough.

"Well..." I rub my neck. "Well, of course!" I say confidently. "You kept drawing my eyes towards you and before I knew it... you know... I kept thinking of you..." I smile at her. Hye Jin wraps her hands around her cheeks and smiles shyly at me.

"Chief Hong, when is the bus coming? This is going to be my first time going to Seoul!" Bo ra tugs at the hem of my shirt and asks excitedly.

I look at my watch and frown. The bus does seem to be running late.

"What is it?" Hye Jin asks me.

"The bus should have been here half an hour ago..." I sigh and look ahead. Not a single vehicle in sight. "Wait a second," I tell Hye Jin.

"Hello?" I dial the bus driver's number. "Mr Song, yes it's me Du Sik. I just wanted to check what time the -"

Hye Jin's POV

"What!" Du Sik gasps as he speaks to the bus driver.

"What is it?" I mouth to him. Du Sik frowns and the look of frustration starts to pull at his features. He rubs his neck and presses his lips together.

"Oh. Okay, I see. Thank you for letting me know." Du Sik sighs and puts down the phone.

"What is it?" I ask him. He gives me a troubled look.

"What is it?" I ask again.

"Apparently, there has been some water damage to the roads. The tide must have been very high for the past few weeks. So they suspect that the water damage has worn down the roads. This morning, there was this huge crack and the whole road sank in. No cars can come in or come out until they fix it." Du Sik says dreadfully.

"So... that means..." I start.

Du Sik looks at me and knows what I'm guessing. He nods slowly.

"We can't go to Seoul."