Chapter 55: In The Rain

Five months later...

Du Sik's POV

"Have a safe journey home, everyone!" Mr Park says as we all get off work.

"Have a good day!" I wave goodbye.

"Aish." I sigh as I step out of the shop and rain falls from the sky. I didn't bring an umbrella.

"Should I just run in the rain?" I mumble to myself, peering up at the sky. "I don't think the rain will stop any time soon." I sigh.

"Jagiya!" I hear Hye Jin's voice.

"Oh?" I say in surprise and squint through the rain. I see her running towards me with an umbrella.

"Yah! Yah! Don't run! You're pregnant!" I feel like I have to constantly remind her. Hye Jin comes over to me with an umbrella and smiles at me.

Every time I see her, I feel like my energy is restored and the day's fatigue is completely gone.

"What are you doing here?" I smile as she beckons me under the umbrella. She stands close to me, under the umbrella.

"I figured you didn't bring an umbrella. And I didn't want you to get wet." Hye Jin says sweetly. Her words never fail to make my heart melt.

"You came all the way here?" I ask, feeling my heart swoon. Hye Jin smiles and nods at me. She's nine months pregnant and yet, she'd come all the way to pick me up so that I wouldn't get wet. The emotions hit straight to my chest. I beam at her and kiss her forehead.

"Here, let me hold it." I say gently as I take the umbrella from her. I put my arm around her and draw her close to me so that the rain doesn't drip onto her shoulder.

"Aren't you tired?" I ask her, holding out a hand to her so that she can hold on to me as we walk up steep paths.

"Aish, I should really ask them to put stairs here! How can they let my pregnant wife walk up such a steep pathway!" I exclaim. Hye Jin laughs breathlessly.

"Hang on a second." She laughs.
"What is it?" I ask her.

"I need to catch my breath." Hye Jin laughs sweetly. "Aish, this pregnancy thing is really..." She pants. "After I give birth to our little Seon ho, the first thing I want to do is drink all the wine I want." Hye Jin says longingly.

"Okay, no problem. The best of my homemade wine shall go to my beautiful wife." I announce happily. "I have ginseng wine that's been sitting for a year and a half. It will be really aromatic and sweet when we open it." I say.

"Really?" Hye Jin looks way too excited over wine.

"Really." I nod. Hye Jin holds up her pinky to me and I make a pinky promise with her.

"And after I give birth, I also want to drink all the coffee I want!" Hye Jin says longingly. I look at her with amusement.

"I didn't know you had such simple wishes." I smile at her and draw her closer to me.

"Not just wine and coffee. I want to eat all the fresh fish, sashimi and sushi that I want!" Hye Jin says hungrily.

"Okay!" I exclaim. "I'll buy you all the fish you want." I smile.

"What else do you want to do or eat after you give birth? Give me the whole list, I'll bring them all to you." I announce.

"Hmmm," Hye Jin thinks thoughtfully for a moment. A twinkle lights up in her eyes and she looks at me with a smirk. "I want to do... other stuff with you." She says with her lips curling up to the side.

I pause for a moment before laughing in amusement.

"Yes of course. Of course." I laugh shyly, running my fingers through her hair.

"Ah, wait. Oh no, my shoe." Hye Jin says as she realises that her shoe fell off her foot in the midst of walking up the steep path. She tries bending down, reaching for her shoe.

"Ah, ah! Don't bend down. Let me do it!" I say quickly. I pass the umbrella for her to hold and bend down to take her shoe.

"Here." I say and I slide it onto her feet.

"Thank you." Hye Jin smiles at me. I beam back at her.

"Ah, you're getting wet." I say protectively as I draw her closer under the umbrella.

"I'm not made of sugar, a little bit of rain won't kill me." Hye Jin laughs.

"Really? Then how come you are so sweet?" I joke.

"Ah, you're so warm." Hye Jin smiles as she leans in close to me.

"Are you very cold?" I ask her, drawing an arm around her. "Aish, you should have stayed at home, what if you catch a cold?" I nag her.

"I was worried you would catch a cold." Hye Jin argues back. "Do you remember? That time when you passed me the herbs for my herniated disc in the rain and you caught a cold the very next day!" Hye Jin says.

"Ah," I laugh at the memory. "Aigoo, I also remember a certain someone coming over to take care of me and then wrecking my kitchen." I smile. Hye Jin smiles at the memory.

"I was too busy trying not to break anything in your kitchen." Hye Jin giggles.

"I also remember a certain someone trying to kiss me while I was asleep, hm?" I wink at her.

Hye Jin stops in her tracks and covers her mouth in shock.

"YOU WERE AWAKE?" She gasps.

I nod and give her a cheeky grin.

"Aigoo, it was the most disappointing moment of my life." I shake my head. "I was waiting for you to kiss me." I say.

"I didn't know you liked me so much at that time." I add and wink at Hye Jin. Hye Jin laughs heartily.

"Yah!" She exclaims. "I'm..." She covers her face. "I'm speechless." Hye Jin laughs.

"So technically..." I say cheekily. "You still owe me a kiss." I smile.

Hye Jin beams at me as she kisses me lightly on the cheek.

"There, is that better?" She asks.

I shake my head.

"Aigoo." Hye Jin coos. She leans in and kisses me on the lips. I fit my lips into her, soaking in her sweetness and feeling my heart rise, the same way it does everytime she kisses me.

"Better?" She asks when she draws away.

"Much better." I smile, giving her a quick peck on the cheek.

"Watch your step." I tell her as we reach our home.

"Ow, my feet." Hye Jin sighs as we get into our home and she sits on the couch. She draws her legs up and starts pressing on them.

"Foot cramp?" I ask her. She nods.

"Here, let me." I say as I sit beside her and gently guide her feet up onto my lap. I press my thumbs into the soles of her feet, massaging them.

"Thank you." Hye Jin says gratefully.

"Aish, why do you need to thank me for this kind of thing." I say.

"Ah!" Hye Jin suddenly bends over in pain.
"What is it?" I ask, alarmed.

"Ah..." Hye Jin wears a surprised expression. "Jagiya..." She says, breathing heavily.

"What is it?" I ask, trying to help her up from the crouched position.

She looks up at me with wide eyes.

"I think my water just broke."