Chapter 32: Waiting

Du Sik's POV

"Your wife is pregnant."

In the immediate moment that I hear this news, my heart soars and a fuzzy feeling overwhelms my entire body.

"Really? She is? Hye Jin... Hye Jin is pregnant?" A soft smile crosses my face and dissolves the fear that used to be there.

"Yes she is, we found elevated levels of hCG when we took her blood tests." The nurse explains.

My heart is swarmed with both joy... but also fear as Hye Jin still remains in the emergency room...

"Will she be okay?" I ask longfully as I look at the door that separates me from Hye Jin in the emergency room.

"Do not worry, Mr Hong. Your wife should be fine. She's just inhaled a lot of smoke so we are trying to clear it from her system. You can see her soon." The nurse says before nodding politely. She's about to head back when she notices the bloody wounds on my hand and arm. Her eyes fly up at me in shock.
"Mr Hong! You need to get those wounds dressed immediately!" She says as she ferries me into one of the white, identical emergency rooms.

"Ah!" I yelp slightly in pain as the doctor applies antiseptics to my wounds. Eun chul, who has joined me in the room, gives me an awkward pat on the shoulder.

"Shouldn't you be telling me that I'm doing good?" I joke with Eun chul.

"Ah. Mm, yes." Eun chul says, slightly stunned at my question. "You are doing well, Chief Hong. Hwaiting." Eun chul says unnaturally and I manage to give him a small laugh, even though every muscle in my expression feels strained by fear and anxious anticipation.

"I'm sorry... about before... when I yelled at you for running in to save Hye Jin..." Eun chul says and drops his head.

"Oh?" I ask, slightly surprised at Eun chul's sudden apology. "Ah, there's no need to apologise... I'm sorry for yelling at you too." I add.

"I heard the nurse say that Dr Yoon should be okay?" Eun chul asks. I nod slightly, still feeling worry claw at me. I can't feel settled until I see her looking at me and telling me that she's okay with a smile on her face.

I'm about to tell Eun chul about Hye Jin's news that she's pregnant when Eun chul speaks again.

"Mi Seon feels really bad." Eun chul says suddenly. "She wants to apologise for letting Hye Jin go alone in that building." Eun chul adds.

"There's no need to be sorry..." I say and reassure Eun chul. "Where's Mi seon?" I ask him, realizing that Eun chul disappeared to comfort Mi seon and suddenly appeared without her.

"I think she feels bad. She feels too ashamed to face you, perhaps." Eun chul says and looks down at his hands.

"She doesn't need to feel ashamed. None of this was her fault." I say and smile reassuringly.

"But you know what is strange..." Eun chul says suddenly, as if he suddenly remembered something. He rubs his chin thoughtfully and appears deep in thought. "Mi seon said that the phone call she received, telling them to go to the building that was later set on fire... was fake." Eun chul's words ring in my ears. A whirlwind of thoughts rush through my head and I suddenly feel awfully dizzy.

"It was a fake phone call?" I gasp. Eun chul nods.

"I don't mean to make you worry," Eun chul starts. "But," He swallows nervously. "I suspect there was some foul play involved in the fire today..."

~

Hye Jin is finally moved from the emergency unit to the ward.

"You may see her now." The nurse says politely and gestures towards the door.

A cool rush of air conditioner greets me as I open the ward door. I shiver slightly at the temperature coolness and the stillness of the ward's white walls. Hye Jin lies in one of the beds. Her face is cleared of soot but her eyes remain shut.

"She should wake up soon. She's just sleeping from the drowsy effects of the anesthesia. Do not worry." The nurse adds reassuringly before heading out of the room.

Slowly, I sit down slowly beside Hye Jin, as if careful that I don't wake her from her rest. I stroke her cheek gently with one hand. My thumb runs over her cheek and slowly slides to her forehead to brush the look strands away from her face.

My other hand hovers protectively over her stomach. It rests gently on her stomach. The news is still surreal to me. Hye Jin is pregnant. The thought places a smile on my face once again and pushes some of the fear further away. Gently, I lean forward and kiss Hye Jin's forehead.

"You're alright." I whisper. I feel the same protective instinct come over me. The same protective instinct that sent me flying into the burning building without a second thought. "Nothing bad will happen to you again. I promise." I say as the conversation I had with Eun chul replays in my head.

Eun chul said that he suspected foul play was involved. It could've been an arson case. It was just a gut feeling that he had and he promised to investigate further. The thought doesn't sit well with me.

I look at the sleeping girl on the bed. She suddenly looks so fragile and vulnerable. A sickening feeling of worry rubs painfully around my head. I move closer to her. I can see the beautiful details of her features. The way her eyelashes curl gently. The faint crease from her double eyelids. The way light cascades down the tip of her nose.

I feel a magnetic pull from the hand that rests on her stomach and I already feel the connection with my baby.

"Do not worry. You don't need to worry. I love you. I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you. I promise." I whisper.