Chapter 24: A Secret Paradise

Du Sik's POV

I wake before the sun rises. Excitement is coursing through my veins. Today is Hye Jin's birthday! I look at the sleeping girl next to me. The corners of my mouth curl up even when she's asleep. Her cheek rests softly on the pillow. I draw the sheet over her gently and kiss her forehead carefully.

"Happy birthday." I whisper.

Hye Jin's POV

I open my eyes slowly as I wake up. My arms stretch out, seeking the warmth of Du Sik. The warmth I wake up to every morning. As I feel the empty sheet next to me, my eyes snap open and I look around.

"Where is he?" I wonder.

"Are you awake?" Du Sik says excitedly as he comes into the room. He lies down next to me with his head popped up on his arm. He uses his other hand to brush the loose strands of hair away from my face. I smile as I gaze at him.

He still has his morning hair. His soft hair spills down and covers his forehead. I love looking at him. I love seeing him in the morning, when everything is quiet and I have him all to myself.

"Happy birthday." Du Sik says happily as he kisses my forehead. I smile as his lips move from my forehead to my nose and finally, find their way to my mouth.

"Here, this is for you." Du Sik says excitedly as he presents me with a present wrapped in glossy navy blue wrapping paper with a golden bow.
"Wah, what is this?" I ask eagerly as I take it in my hands and sit up. Du Sik sits up as well and the sunlight catches his features, making him look softer and sweeter.

"Open it." He bites his lip and says excitedly.

I rip the wrapping paper up to a velvet box. Inside the velvet box sits a petite matte wooden box. As I open it, a lovely melody plays. It reminds me of soft rays of sunlight, of the clarity of dewdrops and the silkiness of waves.

"I made it myself." Du sik says with a twinkle of excitement and pride in his eye.

"Really!" I cover my mouth with my hand. "How did you..." I say, looking at the fine, intricate detail. "This must have taken forever to make..." I say, feeling a warm feeling rush through my heart. Du Sik has this effect on me. He makes my heart soar and yet, keeps me feeling grounded and secure to the earth below. His small gestures give me butterflies and his big gestures make him swoon. In both ways, I fall for him over and over again.

"Thank you. I love it! It's so beautiful." I say breathlessly as I cradle the lovely work of art in my hands. Du sik smiles and reaches out to hold my hand. I look up at him.

"Thank you for being born. For being in this world. For being my whole world." He whispers, sending electric sparks through my body. I lean forward, wanting to be close to him.

"Thank you for finding me in this world." I whisper back. Du Sik laughs and plants a gentle kiss on my lips. I climb into his lap and he holds me in his arms. As Du Sik leans back into the bed, I rest on top of him. My chin lies on his chest and he strokes my cheek gently.

"What is it?" Du Sik asks me as I look at him.

"Nothing, I was just thinking about how cute you are." I laugh. Du Sik's chest moves under me as he laughs as well.

"Ah, what goes on in that mind of yours?" Du sik asks as he ruffles my hair playfully.

"Ah! My hair!" I squeal. I reach out and ruffle his hair as well. His fringe splays out and covers his forehead.

"My mind has three things. Du sik. Hong Du Sik. Du sik-ie." I reply his question. Du Sik beams at me.

"It feels more like my birthday, than yours." He replies.

~

After a homemade breakfast of toast and eggs made by Du Sik, he draws me out of the house and says there's a place he wants to show me.

"Where are we going?" I ask him. He holds my hand as we walk along the shores of the beach. It's a breezy day and the wind sends my hair flapping in all directions. It blows against Du sik's hair as well, making it stand in the wind.

Du sik only gives me a cheeky smile in response to my question.

"You'll see." He says.

We're nearing the end of the beach and a cave stands before us. I've never been to this part of the beach. The other end of the cave is a patch of greenery. Trees flap in the wind and the sound of birds mix in the melody of waves crashing along the shore.

"In here." Du Sik says as he guides me into the cave. "Careful... watch your step." He says with one arm around my waist, in case I slip on the slippery surfaces.

"Where is this place? I've never been here before." I say as I look at the dazzling light that illuminates the end of the cave. It's a short distance from the entrance to the exit of the cave.

"Close your eyes." Du sik says excitedly and covers my eyes with his hands.

"Careful, watch your step." He says again in an endearing manner.

"Okay! Open your eyes!" Du sik announces.

As I open my eyes, it takes time to adjust from the darkness of the cave entrance. Golden rays fill the landscape before me.

"Wow!" I gasp in excitement as I feast on the sight before me. A brilliant green grass patch has been tucked here, under the safety of tall, flowing trees. In the centre of it is a swing that seems to shine in the sunlight. Next to it, is an elegant set of tables and twin chairs. Sitting on the table is a gorgeous white cream cake, line with berries. Surrounding the swing is an array of flowers. Every colour of the rainbow is represented here. The air is filled with the freshness of flora and fauna. The coolness of the wind catches onto the delicate petals and they dance in the wind like ballerinas.

"What is all this?" I ask Du sik in pleasant disbelief.

"It's a secret garden. Our secret garden." Du sik says as he puts an arm around my shoulder. "Some years ago, I found this secluded spot. It didn't have much. It was just a bare patch of land." He explains. "So I decided to make this space into our own space. Our own paradise." His eyes twinkle as he looks at me. "I planted all the flowers here and set up the swing here."

I'm at a loss of words. No one has ever gone to such great distances for me.

"Are you... are you crying?" Du sik asks in amusement as he sees a tear of joy glistening at the corner of my eye. I wipe it away and laugh.

"I'm not... Of course I'm crying! I'm too happy! I'm so happy that my body is leaking!" I laugh as I pull the tear away from my face.

I wrap my arms around Du Sik and feel a wave of affection well up in my chest.

"Thank you, I love it so much!" I squeal. Du Sik kisses my forehead as I hug him tightly.

"Come on, we need to eat the cake before it melts!" Du Sik says.

"Wait! Wait! You need to make a wish." Du sik says as I prepare to blow out the candles.

"Ah right!" I say and close my eyes to make my wish.

Du sik claps as I blow out the candles.

"What did you wish for?" He gives me a curious look.

"I can't tell you, if not it won't come true." I grin at him cheekily.

"Ah... I want to know...." Du sik whines which makes me laugh in amusement.

"Okay, okay. I'll tell you when it comes true. Okay?" I ask him, holding up my pinky finger to make a pinky promise with him.

"Okay." Du sik says as he wraps his pinky around mine.