Chapter 26: My Reason

Hye Jin's POV

The sky has turned to a deep navy blue when everyone heads home. My heart is full. It's full of love and gratitude. My cup overflows with warmth. After we've finished cleaning up the last of the dishes, Du sik and I fall onto the couch.

I rest my head on his chest and he rests his cheek on my head. His hand traces circles on my back.

"Did you have a good birthday?" He asks me. I look up at him and nod enthusiastically.

"It was one of the best. The best." I say happily.

"I'm glad." Du sik smiles and kisses my forehead lightly.

"Though I must say," he starts and the familiar cheeky glint sparkles in his eyes. "There's one more surprise waiting for you!" He says excitedly.

"Ooh! What is it?" I ask as anticipation rises in my being.

"Come on." Du sik says. He gets up and takes my hand.

~

We head to the top of the hill where Du Sik's grandfathers boat sits. Du sik spreads out a blanket on the floor and beckons for me to sit.

"Do you see? That's Orion and mmm... over there, that's Pegasus." Du sik explains as he points out the sky constellations in the sky overhead.

It's chilly tonight so we are wrapped up in a big woolly blanket. I rest my head on her shoulder as I marvel at the stars above us that wink cheekily at us.

"Wah, the Gongjin sky is so beautiful." I say with awe. Du sik smiles as he pulls me closer towards him. He rests his cheek against my head and soaks in this moment. This moment where it's just the two of us in the presence of nature's astounding beauty.

"Ah, that reminds me." Du sik says as he sits up straight. "Wait here." He says as he gets up and makes his way towards the boat. I hear the sound of things moving as he draws out a guitar. In the moonlight, his eyes are shining with a beautiful glow and the subtle radiance of the moonlight cascades down his body. He reminds me of an angel.

"I wrote something for you." Du sik says shyly as he sits in front of me. He bites his lip nervously and clears his voice.

"You wrote a song for me?" I gasp in pleasant delight. My heart flutters. It flutters against my chest like a butterfly trying to get out of its cage; it tries to get out of its cage to soar to the man in front of me. My heart always pulls me closer to Du sik.

"I did." He says sweetly. "It's called Reason. You are my reason. You are the reason I can live the life I have today. A life of bliss and overwhelming joy. Hye Jin-ah , I can't explain with words how much I love you and how much you mean to me." Du sik says sweetly. His words make my heart melt like a popsicle.

"Every morning, I wake up and I can't believe this is my life. I can't believe this is a life I get to live with you." He reaches out to touch my face lightly.

"You are my reason. You will always be my reason why I love life, why my heart is so full and my heart will always beat for you, every day and every second." Du sik says with tears welling up in his eyes.

He clears his throat and starts strumming the guitar. Warm notes flow out of his lips like a refreshing river. I bathe in this overwhelming fountain of love and affection. Each word pulls at my heart and I'm afraid it may start aching from the sheer joy and bliss.

"My heart starts fluttering

Whenever I think of you

A heart that is full of flower petals

It all turns to stars

Even my writing is poor

I want to write about you and show you

You are my reason

The reason for my sentences

The beginning of every day

You are the reason"

I find myself holding my breath as I take in the awe of him. His voice is so gentle and loving, yet it speaks of so much passion and fire. I never want it to stop. It's as if the stars above us have descended and they surround us. Everything around us is bright and beautiful.

Tears flow down my eyes as Du sik sings the last note of the song. He puts the guitar to the side and looks at me shyly.

"Did you like it?" He asks sweetly. My heart bursts into a thousand fireflies.

"I love it! I love it so much!" I exclaim as I wrap my arms around him. Du sik hugs me tightly as I lean into him.

"I can't believe you wrote that all by yourself." I say in awe as I look at Du sik. "Thank you." I whisper.

"I love you." Du sik says warmly and his expression softens. I know he only reserves this expression for me. He only looks this way when he looks at me. In our private moments, when it's just the two of us and our hearts that beat for each other.

"I love you. I love you so much." I whisper.

"I love you so much too." Du sik says as he draws me closer to him. His lips fit into mine perfectly, as if we were made for each other. From the very beginning, we were sculpted for each other.

I kiss him back. His lips move over mine like an alluring dance.

We kiss for a long time.

~

As the sunlight streams through our bedroom window the next day. The light trickles down his face and outlines the beautiful angles of his face. Under the covers, we are skin to skin. I trace the elegant angles and lines of his beautifully sculpted body. The warmth of his body flushes into mine as we lean into each other.