Chapter 16: Light of My Life

Du Sik's POV

"Chief Hong! It's time!" Eun chul calls me from the room.

"Do I look okay?" I ask, peering into the mirror one last time. I've probably re-touched my hair about a million times. I want to look perfect for Hye Jin.

"Yes, yes, you look stunning." Eun chul says. "Now hurry up! We need to go!" He hurries me out of the room.

My heart is beating in my chest. It's unbelievable. I feel a cool rush through my being, yet the warmth of excitement is coursing through my veins. I can't wipe the smile off my face.

The music plays. That's my cue.

With a smile spread across my face, I make my way down the aisle. With each step, my heart beats faster and faster. Somewhere, seated among the guests, Geum chul almost has to gesture to me to slow down. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster. The initial part of every roller coaster ride, where the track climbs upwards. I feel like I'm in the clouds. My heart flutters with so much bliss and gratitude. Grateful for every single thing that led me to this day. Excitement and anticipation unfold in my chest like an inflating balloon.

"Let us now stand, as the bride makes her entry."

The moment that Hye Jin makes her entry, everything stops. The world has stopped spinning. Time has stopped turning. All I see is her, and her alone.

She takes my breath away.

There's an aura of light surrounding her. Her veil and white dress flow and glimmer in the soft rays of sunlight. The heavens have opened and this beautiful angel of mine is slowly making her way down. Her face is radiant with joy and she beams from ear to ear. Beautiful flowers have been braided into her hair, but they cannot compare to the beauty she holds.

The light of my life.

The girl who held my hand in the darkest moments and led me out of this never ending tunnel of fear.

My heart leaps and my stomach does a somersault.

I am the luckiest man alive.

Hye Jin's POV

My heart hammers against my chest. It's as if my heart is trying to fly out, so that it can fly over to Du Sik, who stands on the other end of the aisle, waiting for me.

The love of my life.

Never before did I think I could feel so much for one person. The way he consumes my mind, thoughts and heart. I've never known love the way I do now.

I've never known someone could have so much love and warmth in them.

The way he looks at me. He looks at me like I'm the most precious thing.

I want to spend the rest of my life in his arms. I thank the heavens for everything that led me to that beach that day. My knight in surfing armour.

I could live a thousand lives and still not deserve him.

When I reach the altar, Du Sik takes my hand. His eyes are glistening with tears. He gazes at me. He beams at me. Each second seems to last for an hour as we just look upon each other with such love and gratitude.

"You look so beautiful." He whispers. I smile at him and squeeze his hand.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness the union of Hong Du Sik and Yoon Hye Jin..."

"And now, the vows."

Du Sik goes first.

He never takes his eyes off me. Each word is filled with such sincerity.

"Hye Jin ah, from the moment I first met you, my heart was already drawn to you. You are the brightest star in the sky and wherever you go, you always carry so much love and care. You taught me how to see things in a new light. You made my world so much more beautiful. Each day with you is heaven on earth. I never knew I could love someone so much, until I met you. You," Du Sik chokes and a tear runs down his cheek. The guests aww in response. I smile. With my heart fluttering, I reach out and wipe the tear away gently.

"You're making me cry." I laugh as tears well up in my heart. Emotion is pouring out of me like a tidal wave. Du Sik laughs softly.

"I can make this more lighthearted." He smiles. "I'm so thankful for the waves that day that caught your shoes in the tides. Because, those waves were actually drawing you to me and me to you."

"Yoon Hye Jin, I love you so much."

Du Sik's POV

I'm an emotional mess by the time I'm done with my vows. Now that it's Hye Jin's turn to say her vows, I have a feeling I'm going to be a crying mess.

"I remember those waves that brought me to you." She smiles. "Not just the waves that stole my shoe, but also the waves when I met you as a young girl and you, a young boy. Even when you were a young boy, you already knew how to make me laugh and smile. When I first came to Gongjin, I was so closed off and carried the scars of past hurts. But you, you came in with your charming smile and loving personality. You helped me find my smile and laughter back. And now, I promise that I will spend the rest of my life returning the favour. You're the light of my life, Hong Du Sik. And I know that no matter what life may bring us, I'm not scared at all because I know you'll be right here. And for the rest of our lives, we will walk hand-in-hand."

"Hong Du Sik, I love you. I love you so much."

"Do you Hong Du Sik, take Yoon Hye Jin as your lawfully wedded wife?"

"I do."

"And do you Yoon Hye Jin, take Hong Du Sik to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

"I do."

"Then by the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride."

The guests cheer and clap as I hold Hye Jin in my arms and kiss her. My heart flutters as my lips meet hers. Our first kiss as husband and wife. Her lips are soft and she tastes like honey. She kisses me back and I can feel her smile against my lips. My heart beats for her. My wife. My Hye Jin.

"I love you." I whisper when I draw away slightly.

"I love you." She whispers back.