Chapter 15: Flowers on Sand

Du Sik's POV

"Jiang!" Mi Seon exclaims and gestures at the bustle that's happening on the beach.

"What?" Hye Jin says in absolute amazement.

A ring of off-white and baby pink flowers that is taller than us stands before us. A translucent white sheet has been rolled out before the ring of flowers. The flowers glow in the soft sunlight. It's almost as if tiny diamonds are attached to each individual flower.

"Hello Chief Hong! Hello Dr Yoon!" The people of Gongjin wave hello to us as they set up chairs in neat rows. The white chairs have pretty flowers, wrapped in tulle attached to them. When the cool sea breeze flows, the delicate petals flutter lightly like butterflies.

"What is all this?" I ask in amazement.

"We couldn't wait for them to fix the road. So we brought your wedding to you." Mi Seon says proudly.

"Mi Seon ah!" Hye Jin exclaims happily and hugs her tightly.

"Don't worry, I got the town council to cover every cent we spent here," Young guk says proudly as he approaches us.

"Thank you." I smile. My entire being seems to be tingling. There are sparks of joy shooting through my body, just like fireworks.

"I can't believe you did all this." Hye Jin says with teary eyes.

"Dr Yoon, you can't cry on your wedding day." Hwa Jeong says and comes to us.

"Don't you and Chief Hong worry," Chun Jae says happily. "I have the music settled for you both." He pats his guitar happily.

"I still think we should play the DOS soundtrack..." Ju ri mutters.

"Dr Yoon! I made this for you!" Bo ra says excitedly as she hands me a bouquet of wildflowers. "Il-jun and I went to pick them from those hills over there."

"Thank you, they are so beautiful." Hye Jin says and fans herself, trying to keep the tears at bay.

"Chief Hong, this is for you to match Dr Yoon." Il-jun says and hands me a boutonniere made of the same wildflowers as Hye Jin's bouquet.

"Thank you so much, Il-jun." I pat his head.

"Thank you everyone, we are really truly so grateful." I say. I'm just like Hye Jin. We both wear tear-filled eyes and our matching dimples are plastered to our faces.

Gongjin is truly our home and family.

"Enough with the crying! Are we having a wedding or what!" Nam suk exclaims happily. Everyone cheers.

I reach out and squeeze Hye Jin's hand. Her eyes are sparkling.
"I'll see you soon." I beam.

"I'll see you soon." Hye Jin smiles back.

~

Hye Jin's POV

"How do I look?" I ask Mi Seon as I emerge from the changing room in my wedding dress.

White tulle flows down around me. I wear an A-line dress with a sweetheart neckline. There's a sweet floral pattern that traces the bodice. A hint of a twinkle is seen each time the light touches the fabric.

Mi Seon pauses and takes a moment before she can answer.

"You look so beautiful." Her voice cracks and her eyes well up with emotion.

"Are you crying?" I laugh. She fans herself dramatically.

"You are just so so so radiant and beautiful!" Mi Seon reaches for tissue. "I'm so happy for you." She smiles.

I squeeze her hand and smile.

"I can't believe it. It's finally here. My wedding is finally here!" I squeal.

"Thank you Mi Seon. For everything." My words send more tears flying out of Mi Seon.

"Stop making me cry!" She laughs. I reach forward to hug her.

"Ah! No! You'll crumple your dress!" Mi Seon steps back.

"Don't be ridiculous." I smile and hug her tightly.

"I can't wait to see a mini Chief Hong and Hye Jin running around." Mi Seon smirks.

"What?" I laugh.

"Dr Yoon?" Hwa Jeong pokes her head into the room.

"Wow," She pauses. "Dr Yoon, you really are so beautiful." She says. I smile.

"I have some special people who want to see you." Hwa Jeong says and gestures with her hands for people to enter.

"Who?" I ask.

"Appa?" I exclaim in excitement as my father and stepmother walk into the room. I throw my arms around them.

"How did you get here?" I ask. "The roads are all closed!"

"Did you really think I would miss my own daughter's wedding day?" My father gives me a ridiculous look. "I swam all the way here." He says proudly.

"What?!" I exclaim. My stepmother laughs.

"Don't listen to his nonsense." She smiles. "We took the ferry over. Though, I must say, someone got really seasick." She adds.

"Appa, are you okay? Since when do you get seasick?" I ask.

"Oh, not me." My father shakes his head.

"It's a good thing I'm not a fisherman." I hear a familiar voice as Seong hyun enters the room. Writer Wang Ji Won follows behind him.

"Sunbae! Ji Won!" I exclaim.

"Your father is right. This is definitely something we can't miss." Seong hyun says.

There's no time for hugs because an announcement sounds through the air.

"May everyone please take a seat. The wedding that we've all been waiting for will be starting soon!" Young-guk's voice booms over the PA system.

"That's our cue." My father says. They make their way out of the room after saying a quick word of congratulations.

"It's happening soon! It's happening soon! It's happening soon!" I squeal at Mi Seon.

I have to control myself from jumping up and down.