Chapter 50: Counting Sheep

Hye Jin's POV

"Ah! I can't believe it's tomorrow!" I exclaim excitedly to Mi Seon. It's the eve of Mi Seon and Eun chul's wedding.

"ME TOO! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?" Mi seon claps her hands together.

"By the way," Mi seon asks. "Are you sure it's okay that you stay over with me tonight? I can imagine that Chief Hong won't be able to sleep a wink without you tonight." Mi seon laughs. I blush slightly.

Since it's the eve of Mi seon's wedding, I decided to sleepover with her in our old house, where I used to stay with Mi seon. Soon this house will be empty as Mi seon moves in with Eun chul.

"He'll be alright, don't worry." I say unconvinced and laugh with amusement at the thought of Du Sik trying to fall asleep.

Du Sik's POV

"Three hundred sheep... three hundred and one sheep.... Three hundred and two sheep..." I sigh as I stare at the ceiling, trying to fall asleep. It's awfully strange when Hye Jin isn't next to me, by my side. She's four months pregnant and I can't help but worry and wonder whether she's doing okay.

"Aish." I sigh and get up. I go to my bookshelf and select a random book. I try to read the words in a monotonous tone, willing myself to get some rest.

With each word I read, I just think of all the times I read to Hye Jin to help her fall asleep. Suddenly, my mind is overwhelmed with her again. I see her on the sofa, smiling at me. I see her browsing through my wine collection, whining that she can't wait to taste alcohol once she gives birth.

"This is crazy. It's only been one night... and I miss her already." I sigh, flopping back onto my bed.

"Three hundred and three sheep... three hundred and four sheep..." I sigh, closing my eyes shut.

Hye Jin's POV

"Isn't it crazy that after tomorrow, there won't be anyone living here." Mi seon says sentimentally as she looks around the house. The house we both lived in when we first moved to Gongjin.

"Do you remember?" Mi seon laughs. "Whenever Chief Hong would deliver your parcels but you were too busy dressing up so you left him hanging there?" Mi seon laughs. I laugh with amusement at the memory.

"I remember. He would even start singing my name out of boredom and annoyance." I laugh and think of him with affection. I miss him already.

"Exactly, who would've thought that you two would soon be looking after children of your own?" Mi seon beams at me and I touch my bump that has grown bigger.

"I'm pretty sure I'll be hearing similar news from you and Eun chul soon?" I wink at Mi seon and smirk at her. Her face flushes red and she smiles shyly.

"Yah!" Mi seon covers her face in embarrassment. "It's too early for that." She makes the excuse.

"I must ask," I throw Mi seon a cheeky smile. "Is Eun chul a good kisser?" I ask. Mi seon chokes on her spit.

"Yah!" Mi seon says with a smile spread across her face.

"This is payback for all those times you asked me whether Du Sik was a good kisser." I smile at her.

"Yah, that's because there was the rumour that you slept with Chief Hong! I was just curious." Mi seon says innocently.

"Aigoo, do you remember all those times that you'd purposely put on lipstick whenever Eun chul had an appointment at our clinic?" I ask Mi seon.

"Aish, and in the end, I had to wear a mask whenever I saw him in the clinic, so it was useless to specially apply lipstick anyway." Mi seon says but looks ecstatic nonetheless as she thinks back to the time when her relationship with Eun chul started to blossom.

"Hye Jin ah," Mi seon says with a more serious tone that is etched with gratitude and sentiment. "Thank you." She says.

"For what?" I ask her.

"For everything. For coming to Gongjin. If you hadn't come here, I wouldn't have followed you here. And if I hadn't come here, I would never have met Eun chul." Mi seon says with a cutesy voice. "Thank you." She says gratefully.
"Aigoo," I say happily and I hug her. "I'm so happy for you. For you and Eun chul." I say, feeling tears of joy fill my eyes.

"And I can't wait to see your new house." I add. Mi seon and Eun chul have been working on a house to call their own for a while.

"Eun chul is really quite amazing." Mi seon says. "I never knew that he would know so much about housing, building, construction, renovation and everything!" Mi seon says with wide eyes of amazement.

"Ah, but then again." She adds. "He probably searched it on the internet or asked Chief Hong." Mi seon laughs.

"And it was exactly this hardworking, loyal and honest spirit that attracted you to him, isn't it?" I wink at Mi seon. Mi seon smiles with so much contentment and happiness.

"I can't believe I'm finally marrying him tomorrow!" She squeals.