forty nine

~~~

~~~

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section 14, you are charged with the murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. if convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty." the judge stated.

the five Pogues quickly sat up in shock not believing what they had just heard, Caroline held Sarah's hand tightly, the Pogues still in shock after hearing what the judge had said.

"your Honor, he's 17." JJ argued standing up yelling at the judge.

"J." Caroline stood up putting her hand on his chest.

"quiet."

"he's 17! are you kidding me?" JJ continued to argue.

"you're good." Pope started pulling JJ out.

"hey, John B, we're gonna figure it out." JJ tried getting out of his friends grips.

"John B! John B!" Sarah ran over to him.

"Kie-"

"i got her."

the Pogues walked out furious hearing everyone's comments on how John B deserved it all.

"is this a joke? like, are we in hell or...?" Kiara said walking down the steps.

"i should have never come home." Sarah sniffled.

"it's not your fault." Caroline linked her arm with Sarah's trying to comfort her.

"they're gonna kill him, guys. i know it." JJ turned around facing his friends.

"sorry for what you and your family have gone through. Thank God the system works." the five turned around seeing Ward and his Lawyers walking out of the courthouse.

"can you please shut up? of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you." Kiara snapped at them.

"he'll have his day in court. a jury will decide."

"he shouldn't even be in court! you should, 'cause you're a murderer. you have a lot of nerve showing up to court." Kiara argued looking right at Ward.

"i know you're upset. i understand you're upset, okay?" Ward approached Kiara, Caroline stepped over standing beside her.

"upset?" Kiara cried out.