fifty eight

~~~

~~~

  the anual bonfire was something the Pogues looked forward too each year, who were also a bit more excited for it this year after everything the five have been through in the summer plus the last few months, this gave them all a chance to relax and take a break from all the craziness.

Pope was trying to convince Kiara to talk to her parents but it was no point, Caroline kept thinking about her parents but knew if she went back home she'd still get in trouble.

jumping out of the twinkie fixing her jeans, Caroline shoved her hands into the pockets of her jacket taking a look of everything. suddenly an arm flew around her shoulder seeing JJ and John B beside her, she chuckled wrapping her arm around JJ's waist listening to their conversation.

"oh my God, i missed you so much." John B said taking a beer from a friend and continued his conversation about Sarah.

"she's like, "that's it." John B finished.

"i know. i know, i know. but, dude her father blew up right in front of her. just give her a minute, all right? in the meantime, shotgun right now. like old days-" JJ told John B making sure he'd know Sarah needed time.

suddenly an empty beer can was thrown at the three lightly spraying them while Caroline grabbed her can.

"whoa! hey, there she is." JJ greeted the girl who Caroline knows as Vanessa.

"that's you. we're out of here. good night." JJ pointed to John B motioning to Caroline.

"i don't like her." Caroline muttered under her breath so only JJ can hear.

"i know, that's why we're going somewhere else." JJ grinned at the brunette and groaned when John B hit him.

"that was.. okay let's go, but here." JJ handed her the can of beer he opened.

"see who can shotgun first?" Caroline grinned as JJ opened the other can.

"i'm gonna win." JJ looked at her.

"yeah, okay, let's see who wins, on three." Caroline laughed putting the can to her lips.

"one, two, three-"

they both opened the top of the can tilting their heads back letting the alcohol flow into their mouths, JJ nudged Caroline so she could lose but she pushed his arm away slamming her can to the ground.

"damn it! i never should've taught you how to shotgun." JJ laughed quickly finishing his can after she did.

"the first time was horrible." she laughed as his arm went around her shoulder.

"i remember that, you laughed while trying and it came out your nose." JJ lead them away to somewhere non crowded.

"it was your fault," she looked at him.

"what- okay, yeah you're right." he laughed sitting down on an edge.

even though for Caroline it felt like the two haven't spent much time together, the bonfire made up for it. after everything this is what everyone needed, a night to just take it easy, relax and have fun, JJ listened to her as she spoke until a song came on and he tossed his drink to the trash grabbing her hands pulling her up.

"dance with me." he whispered.

"JJ Maybank asking me to dance? this is new." Caroline giggled standing up.

"can't a man just have a dance with his beautiful girlfriend?" he pulled her aside.

"yes." she smiled.

JJ took her hand wrapping his other arm around her waist as Caroline wrapped her free arm around his shoulders as they danced. JJ smiled at the brunette leaning in so his nose was touching hers, Caroline ran her fingers through his hair as they slowly moved side to side.

"do you think we'll finally get the gold and find the cross?" she whispered.

"we gotta win at some point, right? at least i won with you." JJ whispered which made her smile.

he rested his forehead against hers shutting his eyes pulling her in closer, smiling she gently pecked his lips which caused him to open his eyes and stopped dancing. his hands cupped her cheeks as he reconnected their lips, Caroline kissed back as their lips moved in a passionate sync, he slowly pulled away resting his forehead against hers again rubbing his thumb against her cheek.

"i love you so much, Ace." he whispered, "i know i've been saying it a lot, but i love you and i don't want you to forget that."

"i love you too, and i don't want you to forget that either." she whispered, JJ smiled kissing her again when yells were heard.

"JJ!" the couple quickly pulled apart running over seeing a Kook and Pogue fight broke out.

the two jumped down from their spot as the boys fought with the Kooks and Kiara was trying to break everything up, Caroline saw Sarah on the ground rushing over to her helping her up.

"you okay?" Caroline asked the blonde who nodded.

"you're supposed to be on our side!" Vanessa yelled, Caroline furrowed her brows turned around seeing she was talking to both her and Kiara.

"can you just shut the hell up!" Caroline yelled out.

"Ace! let's go." John B ran over to Caroline grabbing her hand as the Pogues ran off back to the twinkie.

once everyone calmed down and sat in the van, Caroline crawled back in handing John B a cold can of beer so he can put it on his face, Kiara leaned back into her seat silently as Pope sat silently too, Caroline sighed running her hand through her hair when JJ approached them crushing a can of beer and burping.

"well, that was a little unexpected." JJ smiled feeling the adrenaline from the fight.

"was it?" Kiara asked her voice filled with sarcasm.

"do i wanna know what happened?" Caroline turned to Kiara who just shook her head.

"hey, maybe she'll come around." JJ assured John B.

"it's like everything that happened to us didn't matter." John B said, Caroline turned to him scooting over resting her arm on his leg.

"she's gonna come around. the love you two have for each other is different, i know it is because i don't think i've ever seen you look at someone the way you look at Sarah." JJ smiled at his girlfriends words who was trying to cheer John B up.

a smile crept on John B's face as he pat her head gently and went back to thinking about Sarah.