fifty nine

~~~

~~~

"i've had more black eyes in the last month than i've ever had." Pope muttered putting his marshmallow near the fire.

"that was building up for years. rumble in the jungle." JJ said sitting down next to Caroline handing her a plate which had a hot pocket.

"hey, did you two really stick up for Sarah?" John B asked both Kiara and Caroline.

"of course we did." Caroline picked up her hot pocket quickly dropping it back on the plate from how hot it was.

"she's not a real Kook." Kie stated.

"right."

"yeah, tell that to Topper." Pope turned his head.

Caroline moved the hot pocket to the edge of the plate raising it up to her face taking a bite and quickly blew out the steam.

"i just wanted one bite. that.. mmm." John B grabbed Kiara's hand biting her hot pocket.

"what are you doing? no, stop!" Kiara moved her hand away from John B causing the food to fall.

"you're not having any of mine." JJ stood up moving away from John B who stood up.

"keep away from me." Caroline pointed to him turning around picking up the hot pocket.

"i thought you were gonna share." John B turned around reaching for the food on the ground.

"i spent the last of my money on that." Kiara said.

"well, i'm stealing your marshmallow." Kiara grabbed the wood John B had.

"i believe that's a.. not even a fair trade." Pope spoke turning to Caroline who was still holding the plate by her mouth eating her food quietly.

"what are you doing?" he laughed.

"it's hot!" Caroline laughed setting the plate on her lap.

"that's actually really smart, i'm doing that next time." Kiara laughed at the brunette who just smiled widely.

"hey, hey." John B shushed everyone catching their attention, "somebody's here."

"you don't think that Topper would.."

"i wouldn't put it past him." JJ stood up setting his plate down followed by Caroline.

"i doubt he'd show up, he barely looks at us." Caroline added standing behind Pope.

"get behind me." JJ pulled her back gently.

"do you have your gun?" Kiara turned to JJ.

"oh, now she wants the gun." JJ pointed out the one time he didn't have the weapon on him or near him.

"oh, now you don't have the gun?" Kiara argued with him.

"no."

"isn't that your "secret" weapon?"

"shh!"

"shut up."

"Goddamn, now she wants the gun." JJ whispered to Caroline and Pope.

"hey, who's out there?" John B called out.

"you Kooks better not try anything." Kiara called out next.

"who's there?" asked JJ holding up the metal pipe in his hands.

"how y'all doing?" Renfield asked walking towards the Pogues with his hands up.

"it's this piece of shit." Caroline rolled her eyes making her way towards Renfield as John B pulled her back.

"you gotta be kidding me."

"lovely evening we're having. look, i, uh.. i don't hold a grudge with any of y'all, all right? but this can go hard," Renfield slowly walked over patting his jacket and lifting it up showing he had nothing on him, "or this can go easy. you know what i'm here for."

"let me give you a little demonstration. you see that swing right there?" Renfield asked pointing to the swing next to JJ.

"i got the best bow hunters in the Army Rangers with me." Caroline moved closer to JJ keeping her eyes on the older man.

"yeah? mm-hmm." JJ grabbed onto the swing.

Renfield then whistled and an arrow went flying past JJ and Caroline making their heads turn quickly.

"now, they're out there. they'll stick you just as soon as i say so." Renfield walked over to Pope which JJ quickly stepped forward getting ready to swing the metal pipe when another arrow landed right by his foot.

"J." Caroline whispered as he turned his head to her, she shook her head as he quietly looked at her then at Renfield.

"uh, uh, uh. we clear?" Caroline lowered JJ's arm pulling him back.

"now, i'm not gonna give you a countdown or any bullshit like that. i'm just gonna whistle." Pope looked behind Renfield to his friends who all shook their heads so he wouldn't give him the key.

Pope then put his hand in his pocket pulling out the key showing it to Renfield, "no."

"oh."

"this key belongs to my family." Pope argued.

Renfield laughed turning to look at the others then back at Pope, "i'm losing my patients with you, Pope."

suddenly Pope handed him the key which made the Pogues look away in defeat, this was never going to end if Limbrey didn't have the key, they all hoped the other key would work but it clearly didn't.

"did the right thing, kid. knowing when you don't have a choice is an under appreciated talent. you be safe." Renfield turned around waving the key then turned to Caroline, "Caroline, tell Zachery and Melissa i say goodbye, wish i caught up with them." he nodded walking away.

"y'all have a goodnight."

once Renfield was out of view the four Pogues turned to Pope, "i'm so sick of this shit." he breathed out walking away followed by Kiara.