sixty three

~~~

~~~

"hey, pull up to Home Food here. i'm gonna need provisions." Luke pointed to the store, Caroline looked at JJ who just nodded as she pulled into the store.

"crackers and baked beans and tuna, all right? and some salt and pepper." Luke told his son who climbed out of the car.

"yeah."

"five days worth."

"i know."

Caroline watched JJ walk into the store as Luke started tapping the seats obnoxiously, Caroline rolled her eyes sending Kiara a quick text tossing her phone down onto her lap when Luke tapped the head rest behind her seat.

"you're a shit father do you know that?" Caroline spoke up catching Luke's attention.

"yeah, preach it to me. set me straight." Luke said to the girl.

"do you have any idea how special your son is? how a great boyfriend he's been to me and great friend he's been to his friends? like, even a clue?" she said taking a glance at him from the mirror.

"he's a thief is what he is." he replied.

"and what are you? you're a wasted local salt who never did shit but get messed up and hustle people. not exactly impressive." Caroline rolled her eyes at the man.

"you know, you sound just like your mama. she was just like that when you all moved here, always thought she was better than everybody else. became a Kook princess the second she opened up that aquarium y'all run." Caroline clenched her jaw the second Luke started talking about her mother.

"you know, i bet you're a lot like your mama. slumming with the bad boys. are you an ungrateful shit like she was? i bet you are. Miss Figure Eight, hopping up there on your high horse, what would your daddy say when he saw you pulling this shit-"

Caroline swung her elbow back hitting Luke right in the nose as he flew back in pain groaning.

"keep my family out of your mouth." she spat as JJ walked over whistling to his father handing him a pack of beer.

JJ noticed the silence once he got back in the car turning to his father then girlfriend furrowing his eyebrows.

"ready?" she asked.

"yeah. you okay?" JJ asked shutting the door.

"just wanna get this over with." she sighed starting back the car and drove off to the marina.