nine

the teens drove up to the lighthouse which was closed, they all piled out of the van looking at the tall building, John B walked over to JJ already pointing at him already telling the blonde what to do

"right. you're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B told him.

"wait.. why me?" the blonde asked confused.

"because you're not coming." Pope tells him.

"why?"

"these are independent and dependent variables. you're independent. we don't know what you'll do" Pope tells him.

"shut up!" JJ yelled, Ace rolled her eyes walking over to Kiara ignoring the two boys arguing.

"listen to me for a second." John B cut in making the boys go silent.

"Pope, you stand look out with JJ. okay? Ace i know you're still a bit freaked so you'll stay here with them. if we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house." John B instructs.

"great." Kiara says as her and John B start walking towards the light house.

"i'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay, and i'm trying to keep felonies to a minimum." Pope says.

"all right, would you just shut up already?" JJ says starting to kick a sand ball.

Ace sighed pulling her hair into a ponytail sitting down on a rock staring at her hands, she always hoped she'd never have a panic attack in front of her friends. they didn't know about her anxiety at all but knew she had to tell them about it now. JJ walked over to the girl kneeling down in front of her laying his hands on the sides of her thighs.

"you alright? you've been pretty quiet since we all calmed down." he asked her.

"yeah," she nodded "just takes me a little while more to calm down." she looked at him.

"what happened back there? i've never seen you like that," he rubbed his thumb against her thigh, Ace let out breath she was holding rubbing her forehead.

"a panic attack. they started coming in after sixth grade and have gotten pretty bad that my parents had to send me to a therapist and stuff," she admitted, "remember that field trip we went to in seventh grade to the museum and there was a bunch of people inside? and our teacher had to take me home?" JJ nodded in response looking at the girl he loves.

"i got dizzy and started shaking and hyperventilating, she told my parents what happened and told them it happened multiple times but never noticed it get that bad before and they immediately took me to the doctor and diagnosed me with anxiety, so since then if i'm in a room with a bunch of people, or scared or something i get panic attacks, i know it's different for everyone but that's how i have it." she told him.

"shit, baby, i didn't know any of that." he frowned at her holding her face.

"i didn't tell you guys because i didn't want you all to freak out or get worried but guess it's too late for that" she laughed softly making him smile.