CHAPTER 16

"I'll leave you both alone.." V broke the suffocating silence that's been blanketing us for a while now.

I stopped crying but still I am not calm. My heart feels so heavy and I'm running out of breath. I keep on letting heavy breaths out of my body because I thought that will help but it didn't. Remembering the words my mother said to V made me cry again and again. I will stop and stare at the air but again I will resume on sobbing.

"Kookie? Have you calm down, honey?" Her sweet voice reached my ears.

"H-How...can..I calm down, mom?" I asked in between my hicks and sobs.

"Sweetheart, lend me some strength to comfort our child.." she whispered. I heard the bed creak and the next thing I knew is my mom is slumped on the floor also while embracing me into her warm hugs. The hugs that made me feel safe and calm. Her hugs that always been my sanctuary.

Breaths come out from my lips until I finally settled my rapid beating heavy heart. We stayed like that while talking with each other. I hugged her so tight, thinking that she'll disappear if I loose my grip. "Mom.."

"Yes, honey?"

"I wanted to tell you that I'm always awake every night you try to kill me. And I also heard your talk with V that same night I successfully died in your hands.." her body went rigid after hearing my words. I also heard her heartbeat race.

"I.." she run out of words.

"And it's okay mom. I know what you've been through and all your reason. I never held grudge against you. I always and will always love you no matter what you do. I love you, mom.." I cried again, together with her.

Saying those words wiped the burden off of my shoulders. It feels a lot nicer than when I shared my story to V. I closed my eyes and just savour my mom's warmth. I'm afraid to accept the fact that this might be the last hug I'll get from her.

"I'm sorry, Jeongguk. I'm sorry for being such a bitch of a mother to you. I'm sorry for doing those things to you. I'm sorry.." she cupped my face and kissed me on my forehead. Her eyes are watery and her tears are not stopping.

"I forgive you. I had forgive you.."

"I'm really sorry and I'm proud of you. I'm proud of having such a strong person as my son. I have regretted all those things for real this time. I'm so so proud that I gave birth to you, son. I'm truly sorry for having me as your mom, you don't deserve to be treated that way.."

"What are you saying? That's fine, mom. I would never ever ask for another mother. I will not trade you for anything. You made me what I am today. You raised me and mould me into a strong child.."

"I'm sorry.." was the words that left her lips before hugging me again. I just let her cry, until she calmed down.

We sat on the bed or my mom sat on the bed because I chose to lay down and use her lap as my pillow. She plays with my hair. "Can you tell me how you met dad, mom?"

"Hmm? Alright. Listen carefully okay?" She smiled and I nod. "Once upon a time—"

"Mom.." I whined. What is this? A fairytale story?

"Shh. I'm telling you a story. Don't butt in! Silly you." She smacked my head playfully and laughed. Then she resume. "I was diagnosed with cancer when I was a child. I've live my whole life behind the hospital's door and when I hit the age of 19, it became fatal and I'm supposed to die but a strange voice appear in my mind and told me that I'm not allowed to die. Can you believe that? Such a control freak your father is.." she shook her head and I laugh. I remember a certain person.