9

Clarissa's POV

Luke still refused to tell me where we were going, but when he pulled into the Carnival, I got excited.

"A carnival?" I questioned, raising a brow.

"Yes, a carnival. Couples have fun here, right?" He laughed.

"Well, I've actually always been annoyed by the couples that hold hands and kiss on the top of the Ferris wheel. I guess I just wish that was me." I spoke.

"Yeah, well now you get to be one of those couples, huh?" He smirked.

We walked hand in hand, and he walked me over to the Dart game.

"Whoever wins, the other one gets the stuffed animal." Luke challenged. I, wanting to get him the penguin, remembering his love for them, accepted it willingly.

"Oh, it's on Hemmings."

We both threw the darts as best as we could. Mine ended up being closest to the bulls-eye, so I won him a stuffed animal.

"I want the penguin," I began, and Luke squealed.

I handed him the penguin and he hugged it tightly.

"Wait, lemme get a picture with you and your lover penguin." I laughed. He posed with his penguin, and I snapped the picture. I showed him it and he made me send it to him so it could be his new lockscreen.

Before I knew it, we were standing in line at the scariest roller coaster here.

It swung up and down, but upside down aswell. I hated going upside down, I've always had a fear that I'd fall out of the seat.

"Luke, do we have to go on this one?" I pleaded.

"Yes, we do. This one is the funniest ride here! Come on, Clarissa."

"Fine, but only for you. If we die, it's all your fault."

"Okay, but I assure you we'll be just fine."

Once we got to the top of the line, I squeezed his hand so tight I think it'd explode if I squeezed any harder.

We got strapped in and I still held on tight to his hand. We began moving, and I screamed at the top of my lungs. Luke kept laughing at me, and I kept glaring at him yet screaming at the same time.

When the ride ended, he couldn't stop laughing I playfully smacked him in the arm and he stopped.

"Okay, next we're going on the Ferris wheel. That's a lot better." I dragged him over to the Ferris wheel.

We got in and sat next to eachother, and he put his arm around me. I leaned onto his shoulder and closed my eyes, enjoying the moment.

Once we started moving, I felt him lift up my chin with the tip of his finger.

We were at the top when he pressed his lips on mine. It was slow and passionate. We just continued kissing like that until the end of the ride, we both pulled away and intertwined our fingers again.

"I've always wanted a moment like that.. Ya know, from the movies and all." I smiled. He nodded, squeezing my hand.

We drove home in a comfortable silence.

When we got to our dorm, I walked inside to see my mom..

She got up from the edge of my bed with a worried expression.

"Clarissa, honey where have you been?" She asked worriedly.

"I was um at the carnival?" I answered confused.

"I need to talk to you.. Alone." She states, glancing over at Luke. He nods and leaves the room.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's your sister.. She got in a car accident." She told me, and I stood in shock. I couldn't even breathe as I felt tears streaming down my cheeks.

My sister and I, we're like bestfriends. We've always been super close. We tell eachother everything. We have those sister fights, yeah, but we always get over them. She's a year older than me and goes to NYU in New York. I've always been so proud of her. Just now.. is she okay? Is it all over? Whatever is happening, I can't feel anything.

"I-Is she o-okay?" I stuttered.

"Well.. She's alive but the doctors are saying she's most likely not going to make it through the night." She answered.

I fell to my knees, crying endlessly. I help my hands over my face, and just let it all out.

I can't handle loosing another person.

My mom was rubbing my back, and I just weakly half smiled up at her. She's staying strong for me. I respect and love her so much for that.

"We need to go to the hospital to bid our goodbyes. She's in New York so we have to fly there." She explained.

"Are we gonna get there in time?"

"Yes, they said she has until late tonight I meant."

"Can Luke come with?" I looked into her eyes.

"I can tell you need him right now. Yes, he can come too." I sighed in relief.

I ran outside into Luke's arms and sobbed into his chest.

"What's wrong?" He asked, worry in his eyes.

"It's my sister.. she's dying." I could hardly speak the words. He pulled me into his chest tighter.

"I'm so sorry, Clarissa. It's gonna be okay, I promise." He assured me. Will it be okay? Will it really?

We boarded the plane, and I fell asleep in Luke's arms with tear stained cheeks.

______

It's kind of a short chapter, I know, but I wanted to end it there because a lot is going to happen in the next chapter! I didn't want to cram it all into one big chapter.

I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far!

-b