35

Luke's POV

The most agonizing feeling is knowing the person you love most in the world might not make it out alive. Especially when you know there is nothing you can do to save her. Absolutely nothing. The guilt has been eating me out alive. Maybe if I would've went along with her I could've prevented her injuries. Better yet, I could've had her just stay home with me for the day. But no. Me being ignorant, I let her go out in the world where people can harm her. I wasn't there to save her, and I can't help but believe that it's all at my fault.

The constant rush of nurses scattering across the hallway makes my stomach churn. Hearing the faint cries of the families who've lost their loved ones, it all haunts me. Knowing that I could very well be in that position in a matter of time. Nothings worse than knowing of what's about to hurt you, and not having the power to somehow prevent it.

I'm just hoping she'll pull through. Her mother has been an absolute mess. I can only imagine, loosing one of your daughters and being close to loosing the other one in the same year. That must be incredibly difficult for her to manage, however, she's a significantly strong woman. I wish I could have the strength she is, but unfortunately, I do not.

Life was becoming so perfect. It almost seemed too good to be true. It seems although whenever you reach the point of happiness, there's always a force ready to tear it away from your grasp.

A man in white scrubs, who I am assuming is the doctor, approaches us with an emotionless look. He must be accustomed to giving the heart wrenching news.

"Mrs. Winters, your daughter does not seem to be reciprocating very well. However, she's made a bit of progress overall, meaning this battle is not over yet. She could still very well pull through. I wish your family the best of luck." He smiled sincerely. His eyes were filled with sorrow, as he probably knows what the outcome will most likely be.

All I could think about is the car colliding with her body, sending her to the thin line between life or death. Now she's dancing across that line, driving her mother and I crazy. That is, until I drifted into a darkness that could be called sleep.

*

"Luke! Wake up! She's awake," Clarissa's mother shook me harshly.

My eyes shot open when I heard the last two words. Clarissa is awake. Clarissa is alive. A feeling of joy spread throughout my whole body in a matter of seconds. The large grin was prominent across my face, as well as Clarissa's mom's.

I practically leaped out of my seat, moving my legs as fast as possible towards her room. I slowed down by the time I reached the door, slowly opening it revealing the love of my life. She still had this slight, weak smile written across her face when she spotted me. It amazed me how she managed to smile through this.

"Luke," She croaked.

"Clarissa, I'm here, you're going to okay. Everything's gonna be fine. I promise." I smiled warmly, taking her petite hand into mine. I caressed my thumb over her fingers soothingly.

"I know, as long as you're here, it will be." She responded, the smile still there.

The doctor walked in once again, his eyes filled with a sort of hope this time around. It seems he was skeptical of her waking; and now she has.

"We will have to keep her here for another week, at the minimum. She may be awake, however she still has many injuries to recover from. We'll also have to have her in a wheelchair for a month. I don't know how this will effect your singing career, but I'm sure your fans will understand." He told us. I watched as Clarissa's face fell as soon as the words came out of his mouth. She hated the idea of being restricted to a wheel chair, you could see it in the gleam of her eyes.

"Clarissa! Oh my god, are you okay?" Who I assume are Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift walk in with a frantic look upon their faces. Oh yeah, these are her new friends. I almost forgot. It was also their gathering she was going to when she got hit. I suddenly feel myself glaring in their direction.

They practically did it, why do they have the nerve to show up here? They should be smarter than that. Of course they had to have known I would've been here, why wouldn't I be. Or maybe they're too ignorant to realize their actions. Yeah, that's probably it. They're just pretty faces without a mind to go along with it.

Rolling my eyes, I kissed Clarissa on the cheek before exiting that place as fast as I could. I can't stand those girls. I hope they leave soon so I can resume my time with Clarissa. In the mean time, I better go explain to the band what happened. They're probably extremely puzzled at my actions.

*

"She what?!" Ashton screamed, his eyes popping out of their sockets. The rest of the boys had a look of sorrow, maybe even pity, directed towards me. That's nice, now I'm being pitied. I absolutely hate the idea of being sympathized in any way. I can handle myself perfectly fine.

"Is she okay?" Michael asked, his words soft, gentle. Almost as if that in the case that they were too sharp, I'd break. As if I'm too fragile.

"She'll be fine. She has to stay in the hospital for the week, and after she's out of there she'll be in a wheel chair for a month." I spoke.

"Oh my god, that's terrible." They all agreed.

"However, Luke, we can't stop for a month for you to take care of her. You know that right?" Ashton said gently.

I look at him in disgust.

"What do you mean? You expect me just to pretend my girlfriend isn't suffering at home, and some how try to fake being happy in front of a bunch of people? Like you said, they can detect stuff like that. I'm not much of a good actor." I spat, rolling my eyes at their words. I could feel my face flushed with anger.

"Luke! We can't just put our entire career on hold because your girlfriend has a little trouble along the road. If you want to be in this band, you're going to have to realize that. You're not going to see her as often as you'd like. Most of the time you're going to be miles away from her, hate to break it to you. That's just how it is." Michael snarled. I guess he's done trying to be gentle.

"Whatever." I got up and stormed out of the room, completely over whatever they have to say next. The love of my life just got in a car accident and can't walk, and they expect me to act like it never even happened? And the thing is, that if it were one of them who it happened to, everyone else would be bowing down to their services. It's not something I can handle right now- so I simply won't.