42

(this is the last chapter, so enjoy the finale)

"Hello?" I heard the slur of Luke's voice.

"Luke? Where are you?"

"Why would you care?"

"I've always cared. I always will care. Now tell me where you are," I demanded. "Please." I added weakly.

"I'm at the bar a couple blocks down from the building, I need to forget about you,"

"Well, I'm not letting you do that. I'll be there in a couple of minutes. Please don't do anything stupid." I told him, hanging up. I hit the gas pedal, speeding off to the bar.

As soon as I got there I could feel my stomach churning once again. I'm not prepared to see him like this.

As I entered the bar the scent of alcohol filled my nose, making me scrunch it up. I immediately found Luke, sitting on a bar stool chugging down some beer. I ran up to him, snatching the beer bottle out of his reach before I could even process anything.

"What was that for-" He began, until his eyes landed on me. His jaw dropped, and his eyes widened. Just like me earlier.

"Luke, you can't keep drinking like this." I started. He just sat there, his eyes never leaving mine.

"You know what? I don't even know why I'm trying. You're not sober, in fact you're probably drunk as hell and won't remember anything I'm saying anyway. What's the point of wasting my words." I sighed, trying to hold back the tears. Though I'm angry, all I want is for him to kiss me.

"Oh, I'm fully sober now."

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"How could I not be?" he added.

"Okay, listen Luke. You're not ruining anything. You're just living your dream, which is all we've ever wanted for you. Your brother's sickness has nothing to do with you. Your mom is only stressed because her son is sick. It's not because of you. We're not together because we've both decided to sacrifice each other so the we could both live our dreams. It's not your fault at all. I promise." The last one definitely hurt.

"You're just saying that. You didn't see how hurt my mom was. You didn't see how sick Jack was. You don't know how I've been hurting these past five years." He sighed, letting a tear slip.

"Luke. I do know. I know how it's like to see a sibling sick. You know that. I also know what it looks like to see an upset mother. I thought it was my fault too, but it never was. And I do understand how you've been hurting these past five years. I've been hurting too. You can't possibly think it's been some kind of breeze for me. I want to be with you so bad. However, I know it'll just make everything hurt worse. As we both agreed on, we just need space. One day we can be together again, I know it." I grabbed his hands, tangling them with mine.

"I can't keep waiting Clarissa. I can't wait forever. We've already been doing this for five years. I just want you.." His eyes pierced into mine, his eyes threatening to spill tears as well as mine. You could see the pain in his eyes, and all I wanted to do is just fix it for him. All I wanted was to tell him we could be together and everything would be alright- but I knew that wasn't true. We can't just pretend everything's okay, because it's not.

"I'm so sorry Luke." I choke, as the tears poor out of my eyes, running down my cheeks.

"Just promise me. You'll wait for me. Promise me you won't give up on me. Even just hearing that from you.. that's enough to keep me going. Please." He pleaded, looking deep into my eyes.

"Of course. I promise. I'll wait for you forever if I have to. I love you so much." I cried, wrapping my arms around him. We both sobbed into each other's shoulders, knowing we can't be together.

"I love you too." He whispered, slowly pulling away.

"Now go back to that stage and rock your performance." I smiled, wiping away a tear from my eye. He laughed, giving me a smile as well.

"Okay." He said, as we parted our separate ways for yet another time.

____

As I found my way back to the building, Selena scolded me for almost being late. She also pestered me for all of the details of what went on at the bar, which I confirmed to her that I'd tell her later.

As the show began to start, I heard the chords of one of Luke's bands songs. A slight smile made its way across my face. I will forever be proud of his band and how far he's gotten. He's truly so talented, and I still love that about him.

The lights brightened a bit, revealing him and his band. Right away, our eyes met. He smiled a bit, and I did the same back. It felt comforting to see his smile directed towards me again.

I got the same butterflies in my stomach I used to get when he would touch me, and I realize something. I don't want to live without him. No matter how much fame or riches I have, the only true happiness I can have is Luke. He makes me happier more than anything in the world. Whenever I'm with him, I can't stop smiling. I feel foolish that it took me this long to realize this. Luke will always be the love of my life.

His band finally concluded their song as the lights dimmed, letting applause fill our ears. I was smiling from ear to ear. I couldn't be more proud of how far he's came.

_____

As the event ended, I felt anticipated to see Luke. I haven't been able to stop thinking about him since his performance. I need to be with him, no matter how hard it is. My love for him is too strong to bare without him. I love him more than words can describe. I know, it sounds cliché, but I can't help it. I've spent years without him, and the time apart has only made me crave his love.

I just hope he feels the same way.

Then, it happens. My eyes land on his. The corners of his lips tug into a slight smile, and I return it. We slowly approach each other, leaving our friends behind.

All of a sudden, we're inches apart, gazing into each other's eyes. I feel the butterflies in my stomach all over again.

Soon, I feel his lips touch mine.

_______

guys!!! that was the last chapter, i hate you hemmings is complete:(

im rly sad and happy at the same time bc ive been working on this for so long and i hate to see it end. however, im happy bc i finally completed it and this story has taken so much time and effort from me.

no matter how far this story makes it, i'll always be beyond proud of it. it's not the best story, in fact, i cringe reading some parts of it, but i wouldn't have it any other way. (as cheesy as that sounds lol)

there will be an epilogue up, you'll be able to see where luke and clarissa go:)

thanks for the journey loves.

-b