Chapter 12

{ Time: the night after the dark forest battle}

Jayfeather heard Lionblaze whisper, "I'll take first watch."

Jayfeather closed his eyes and dreamt himself into StarClan.

'Someone better have some answers!'

He opened his eyes once he felt the presence of StarClan. But when he opened his eyes, all he saw was gray mist.

'StarClan?'

He wondered around for a bit, until a faint shadow of Half Moon finally appeared.

"Half Moon!" Jayfeather said happily.

"Jay's Wing!" Half moon greeted.

Yet Half Moon wasn't her normal self. Jayfeather could only see her faint outline, and a echo of her voice.

"Half Moon, where's StarClan? And why-"

"I can't stay long." Half Moon interrupted urgently."The clan cats are still in danger and StarClan can do nothing about it."

"But- but I reunited StarClan!" Jayfeather protected.

"And you did wonderfully, something else got in the way."

'Well that's not fair.'

"Go to moonpool, we can talk more there...." Half moon vanished.

"No! Half moon!" Jayfeather wined, "come back!"

With no need to stay in the empty StarClan, Jayfeather woke up.

><><><><><><><><><

It was still dark out, but some cats were awake sitting vigil for their fallen clanmates.

Jayfeather thought of Hollyleaf... Brairlight... And others. Jayfeather couldn't get to sleep after the dream with Half Moon. He decided to talk to Lionblaze about going to Moonpool.

Dovewing was too tired to use her powers, and she had almost fallen asleep on her paws. Lionblaze told her to rest.

Jayfeather walked over to Lionblaze.
"Did you learn anything?" Lionblaze asked.

"No, it was all mouse-brained, StarClan just wasn't there!" Jayfeather hissed.

"What? Did StarClan just disappear?" Lionblaze asked.

"I did see one StarClan cat, she told me to go to Moonpool."

"Ok, well. You can go sometime soon, but not tonight. It will be very risky. We'll need Dovewing's help."

"Fine." Jayfeather humphed and walked back to the vigil-sitting cats.

Jayfeather looked up at the moon, thinking of Half moon, then more cats burst into the barn.

Lionblaze hissed and ran to the edge of the ledge, teeth bared in a snarl at the trespassers. Then his expression changed quickly as he recognized the cats.