Chapter 48

Ivypool rushed towards the dark forest patrol with the rest of her warriors behind her. 'It is finally time!' She launched herself on the first cat who came forward. It took for a moment to realize it was Hawkfrost. She hesitated- long enough for Hawkfrost to give her a few good claws on the shoulder. She backed up, yowling. Hawkfrost leaped on her- pinning her down.
"Do you really want to do this?" Hawkfrost asked.
"Do I really have a choice?" Ivypool asked, throwing Hawkfrost off of her.
"I don't want to hurt you, Ivypool." Hawkfrost said.
'Me either...' Ivypool thought but refused to say it out loud.
Instead she clawed Hawkfrost's nose. She stopped as she heard Rustyblaze screech. She turned around for just a moment to see Molewhisker dead. Then Hawkfrost attacked her again, pinning her down.
"Don't make me do this, Ivypool." Hawkfrost said.
"You don't have too-." Ivypool started.
"But I don't really have a choice." Ivypool couldn't help but notice Hawkfrost's eyes were full of compassion.
She relaxed for a moment- remembering all the time they spent together in the dark forest.
Hawkfrost's grip tightened as his claws drew blood.
"No!" Hawkfrost's weight suddenly vanished.
Ivypool got up to see Whitewing battling Hawkfrost. Ivypool rushed forward to help, but a fighting Mousewhisker and Clawface rolled in her way. Mousewhisker had the upper hand and killed Clawface. He vanished. With a brief nod to Ivypool, Mousewhisker ran back into the battle. Ivypool also noticed that Blossomfall had come to help. 'That means no one is working on the dam... I guess this is more important for now.'
Ivypool rushed towards Hawkfrost and Whitewing, but stood there dumbfounded for a moment, unsure what to do. 'Am I really that mouse-brained? I obviously have to help Whitewing! Or... Is it really that obvious?"
Then she heard a screech from Hawkfrost as Whitewing darted forward and clamped her teeth on Hawkfrost's throat. 'No!' Ivypool silently screamed. Ivypool ran forward and pulled her mother off of Hawkfrost. He was still bleeding badly, but she could tell he would live. She wasn't too late.
"Why did you do that?!?" Whitewing snarled.
"I'm sorry, mother..." Ivypool killed her in one swift claw swipe and then looked around to make sure no one saw that.
No one did. Whitewing was dead. Ivypool had just killed her own mother. She started shaking from the realization of what she just did. But no one could ever know her feelings for Hawkfrost.
"Why did you just do that?" Hawkfrost asked.
Ivypool turned around to face him.
"Isn't it obvious? Because I love you, Hawkfrost."
"I love you too, Ivypool." he replied.
"Listen... There's something I have to tell you..." Ivypool started.