Chapter 18

{ Time: almost midnight }

Jayfeather whispered to Ivypool, "Stay here and keep watch!"

Ivypool watched as Jayfeather laid down next to the small Moonpool.

'Why is it so small?' She wondered briefly.

Ivypool stood still in the shadows and watched the moon set behind the trees.  A cold wind picked up. Ivypool shook herself to fluff up her fur.

*snap* Ivypool detected movement nearby.

She hoped there wouldn't be a fight, especially after getting almost discovered by a dark forest patrol earlier. Ivypool crept closer to the noise, trying to stay undetected.

In a small clearing, where a patch of moonlight broke through the tall tree branches sat 'Hawkfrost?!?'

Hawkfrost said without looking at her, "You should be more careful going into dark forest territory-" he spun around and put his icy blue eyes on Ivypool who was hiding under a bush, "-I won't be able to save you all the time."

Ivypool crawled out from under the bush, no point to it if Hawkfrost already knew she was there.

"What do you mean?" Ivypool asked.

Hawkfrost sneered, "that little close run-in with the dark forest patrol. I convinced them it was nothing when we all could scent you clearly."

Ivypool gulped, "um, uh, why?"

"Because, Ivypool," Hawkfrost got up and started walking towards her slowly, "I don't believe what they say. That you attacked a dark forest warrior. That you betrayed us."

Ivypool noticed A little edge to the last word, "you better believe it." She growled, "I had you all fooled from the start."

"No, at first you were a dark forest member. Now, I'm giving you a chance, one chance, for you to become one again. Thornclaw and Blossomfall are settling in nicely."

'If I keep him talking, maybe Jayfeather can run for it' Ivypool thought.

"Never! I'll never join your group of rogues!" She burst out.

Hawkfrost was a tail length away, he hissed, "you might regret your decision later."
He turned around, flicking his tail across Ivypool's nose.

"That's it?" Ivypool expected a fight.

"I told you, I believe in you to make the right choice." Hawkfrost left.

'Yeah! Creepy Hawkfrost left!' Ivypool walked back to the clearing to continue guarding Jayfeather.

>>>>>>>>•<<<<<<<<

Ivypool walked back into the Twoleg barn, her fur fluffed up against the wind and her feet tired from the long night. It was past midnight.

Jayfeather followed, with Lionblaze and Dovewing running over to help them. Reedwhisker came in last.

On their way back, they stumbled into the previous RiverClan deputy in a make shift den. He was very glad the clan cats found him and sadly told them about his dark forest camp adventures, and of Hollyleaf.

Jayfeather on the other paw wasn't so talkly, he refused to tell anyone what he had learned until everyone was present. Now they were.

Surprisingly to Ivypool most of the first clan was still awake. They couldn't sleep during the night after the dark forest battle, afraid of a ambush and haunted in their dreams of the deaths.

A large group of cats gathered around Jayfeather after Reedwhisker told his stories. Lionblaze looked sadly at the stars as if thinking of Hollyleaf.

Jayfeather finally announced, "the only hope to defeat the dark forest, is one of Squirrelflight's kits, but that kit is also able to defeat us."

The clan broke into murmuring.
One voice, Brackenfur's said, "when will the kits be born?"

"Tonight." Jayfeather said with a hint of fear.

Any medicine cat knew that was moons early.
'Oh Squirrelflight....' Jayfeather hoped that Willowshine will know what to do.

{ Author Note: this is not the last we hear of Hollyleaf! :) }