Chapter 23

Petalfur led the three small kits out to a small clearing. Sparrowfeather and Tigerstar watched nearby.

Petalfur watched with pleasure as Eaglekit and Rustykit tumbled around and Dapplekit dabbed her paw at a bug.

"Let me see that hunter's crouch Tigerheart showed you earlier." Petalfur told Dapplekit.

Dapplekit obeyed and instantly went into the crouch, ready to spring at the bug. She leaped and landed squarely on the bug, killing it, and squishing it.

"Yeah! You caught the bug!" Petalfur said happily.

Dapplekit took the bug and ran around with it until Eaglekit and Rustykit started chasing her around.

"I want the bug!" Eaglekit said.

"But I want it too!" Rustykit called.

Petalfur pricked her ears. She scented cats, and they weren't dark forest cats. Tigerstar had too.

"Kits! Come here!" Petalfur called.

The three kits came back over to her, forgetting about the bug.

"What is it Petalfur?" Rustykit asked.

Then clan warriors ran through the undergrowth, with Lionblaze, Cloudtail and Brackenfur leaping for Tigerstar.

Reedwhisker ran over to Petalfur. "Come on!" He yowled.

Petalfur grabbed Dapplekit, Reedwhisker with Eaglekit, and Hazeltail took Rustykit. Together, they ran out of dark forest territory.