Chapter 34

Rustypaw watched as Ivypool headed out. From across the camp, he watched the other apprentices head out from their apprentice den for training, they have been apprenticed for a half-moon now.

Rustypaw sighed. He wish Tigerstar didn't hate him. He didn't even know why.
Even though he was constantly asking Ivypool questions, she never said more than 'it's not your fault.'

But today the dark forest camp was mostly quiet. The sun had just risen, so most of the dark forest cats curled back into their nests to fall asleep.

Rustypaw edged backward to the back of the den. He had been secretly digging a hole to escape. Quietly he crawled out of the hole and ran away from the camp, hoping that his bright orange pelt wouldn't give him away.

Then he followed Ivypool's usual path, which he knew so well from watching her leave over the moons. He paused as a stream crossed his path. He leaped on the stones and leaped his way across.

Excitement hovered over Rustypaw like a storm. He had never traveled so far, he had never left camp!

Then as he was coming around a huge hill, something fell on him- a cat. Rustypaw knew no real fighting moves, so he wildly flailed his paws around.

"Rustypaw!!?" The cat asked.

"Ivypool!" Rustypaw said, happy it wasn't a dark forest warrior.

Ivypool got off of him.
"What in StarClan are you doing here?!? You shouldn't be away from the camp!" Ivypool scolded.

"All I ever do is sit in camp. Ivypooooool. My littermates always tell me of the amazing things their mentors teach them! I want to learn so I'm not a helpless kit anymore! Pleaaaasseeee Ivypool, you are my mentor!" Rustypaw begged.

"Fine, but only for today. Since your already this far." Ivypool said. She waved her tail to follow as she headed towards the uninhabited forest.

Rustypaw quickly followed her. He marveled at everything he saw. He had never been in a real forest like this before.

"Keep your ears alert, dangers could be anywhere." Ivypool warned.

{ Fun fact: if Squirrelflight would have lived.. She would have named 'Rustypaw' (who is the cat in picture) 'Alderpaw'! }