Chapter 43

A quarter moon later Rustyblaze was still thinking of ideas on how to get away from camp without anyone noticing him. He settled down as Ivypool went hunting- alone. She was giving him time to think.

Rustyblaze began to eat a delicious looking piece of prey she had caught earlier. Eagleclaw walked over.

"That's looks good, can I have it?" Eagleclaw asked as Rustyblaze was already eating it. Before he could reply, he took it and began rapidly eating it.

Rustyblaze growled under his breath but didn't say anything.

"You know, you never got me back from that fight when you were an apprentice." Rustyblaze recalled.

"Oh yeah, RustyPAW." Eagleclaw snickered.

"How about a race? Like say... To the small pool near that thunderpath." Rustyblaze challenged.

"Ok, you're on." Eagleclaw said as he swallowed the last bits of prey, "go!"
Eagleclaw yowled as he sprinted out of camp.

Rustyblaze was unprepared and sprinted after him. No one ever stopped Eagleclaw from doing anything or else they would feel Tigerstar's wrath. Soon they neared the rocky path to the pool. Rustyblaze slowed his pace to let Eagleclaw win.

"I won!" Eagleclaw shouted triumphantly.

"I guess we're tied." Rustyblaze said.

Eagleclaw was obviously not satisfied with that. Rustyblaze looked out over the pool. Or- what it used to be.

"Where's the pool?" Rustyblaze wondered out loud.

The rock hole in the ground was completely dry as if they're hasn't been any water there for moons.
Eagleclaw ignored him and started walking back to camp. Rustyblaze followed the empty stream that was supposed to make Moonpool a pool.

'Where was all the water?'
After walking for a while, Rustyblaze finally heard water again. Rustyblaze looked in amazement as he saw a huge wall of sticks pilled up in the stream, blocking up all the water.

"Oh." Rustyblaze said, "hey Eagleclaw!"

"What?" Eagleclaw turned around.

"Another challenge! Who can cross the bridge." He pointed with his tail towards the wall.

Eagleclaw accepted and walked across without any trouble. The wall was very strong.

"Easy." Eagleclaw snarled from the other side.

Rustyblaze walked across more slowly, 'accidentally' purposely dislodging sticks. Eventually he made a small hole of which a small stream of water spilled through.

'That won't do well for a pool.' He said but couldn't stay around to break it more because Eagleclaw was getting impatient.

"Let's go back to camp already!" He growled.

Once Rustyblaze crossed the bridge, they headed back to camp.
"I guess we're tied again." Rustyblaze said.

Eagleclaw growled.
Rustyblaze then wondered how the dam was built and why.