❦ Forty One

It's funny how a day can get odder as it goes on.

Going through the day starting with venturing to the police station due to the Detective's plea of help, to meeting that lazed-easygoing pro-hero, Hawks, and somehow trying to lure a Nomu with your quirk, you can say you honestly went through quite enough. That was enough drama to last you an infinity, and you were just hoping to grab this opportunity of a break to just unwind and forget.

You know, maybe grab something to drink in the nearest coffee shop, or maybe go a little window shopping, or get that cheesecake that's been the talk of the city. Or hey! Catch up with that series that you've been holding back on, or play along with the Pokémon's whimsical whims. Or you know, take a long nap! There were so many options you could spend the day on, and you couldn't wait to get started on it.

So you can forget your troubles and your worries. Forget all your concerns about the Pokémon's situation, and just relax...

But...

Who knew, that it would just bring along your past in steed.

In that dimmed, restricted alleyway, with light barely slipping in, it felt damp. With nowhere to look but one, faced with a face you've known for a long while, you found yourself holding back the noise of surprise crawling out of your throat. An unsettling feeling rested in your gut, as you unconsciously brought your hands by your side to fists, holding your nerves in place. Under the darkness of this alley, you find yourself feeling all sorts of emotions.

Annoyance, confusion, and wariness.

Several feet away from you, he stood by the entrance of the alleyway, blocking a path for you to run. It's a wonder why he would do such as it's pretty obvious between the two of you that you deliberately entered the small walkway, knowing for a fact that this would happen.

You narrowed your eyes down at him. With his white hood pulled down from obstructing his face, your theory was proven correct as you met the grey-mantled eyes meeting yours, the familiar white-greyish recognizable clock-hand quirked hair proving you enough, it was him. Kuruno Hari.

There was a dull silence, but you were quick to cut to the chase, raising your head high. "...I asked you a question, Kurono." You narrowed your eyes down carefully, keeping a watchful eye.

Silence circled the both of you, as you kept your stance carefully, your face stern on attention for any sudden movements. But it wasn't long until he responded.

"...Apologies." He spoke, respectfully bowing. Your eyes narrow further.

"Cut it off...we're not at father's home." You spoke, looking away from the man briefly, your earlier tenseness subsiding to your annoyance, as the man raised back to his full height naturally. You had to bite the inside of your cheeks out of your frustration, whipping your head to appoint to Kurono, who watches you placidly.

You felt your incoming perplexed questions rising. You raised your eyes to meet his again, calmly asking. "...Kurono, what are you doing following me?" You frowned. "I know this isn't the first, it's been going on for a while now." You accused, knowing this as a fact, but Kurono had kept a neutral front, your accusations not bothering him. You sighed, feeling the air leave you, turning your eyes away tiredly. "I swear if this was Father's orders-,"

"They weren't."

He finally spoke, catching you mid-turned as he curtly answered. Then he said an answer that left you eyeing him in surprise. "It was Kai's orders."

You felt every inch of your body freeze in confusion, trying to make sense of what this all meant. You worded softly, narrowing your eyes again. "...Chisaki?"