❦ Twenty One

The little coffee shop you sat at was a rather cute one. The ambiance was filled with calm chatter, and the tinkering of spoons lightly hitting cups, as you could hear soft Jazz music floating in the air, perfect to sway with no intentions to dance.

The smell of coffee was strong, but not terribly so. It filled you with lightness, a not so familiar smell to your daily routine, as you were fascinated by the décor, with healthy potted plants hung with purpose around the tiny shop. It was truly not surprising to find the shop to be rather popular, as a few people were lined up by the counter in hoping to buy a drink before scurrying away.

Your hands were folded on your lap, eyes kept on a slice of cake just sitting on the table. The colorful patterned cake was truly a sight, for its vibrant choice of colors was rather easy on the eyes. It was dressed by a layer of whipped cream, seemingly floating like a cloud, as varied of fruits were placed on top, like a crown befitting for a king. It shouldn't be a surprise if you would easily cut the cake with the fork easily, slipping past with ease like a novelist's pen dancing across the paper. The melodiousness dessert wafted in a sweet-smelling taste, practically flirting with you, like an expensive perfume bottle that left boys reeling for more. Your mouth watered-

"...Ahem?"

You blink out of your daze, before realizing your surroundings with a sweat.

Oh that's right, your sister sat across from you, hands folded across her chest as she eyed you up.

Suddenly like a crash, everything came back to you, as you reeled back uncomfortably. Perhaps it was a good idea your eyes were on the cake because you did not want to meet your sibling's gaze, that was burning a hole right through your skull.

Her polished fingers tapped on the table-top impatiently, obviously waiting for a response, or perhaps a question from you, before you heard her scoffed a sigh at your silence, picking up her coffee primly to take a sip.

You took this chance to get a good look at her.

Your elder sister was truly beautiful. She sat elegantly on the chair, so much that it made the chair inferior in her presence. Her luscious hair had become longer than you remembered, perhaps reaching her back as it flowed down with ease. She was dressed well, not surprising as she always tried to present herself well to the public, as she sat with her legs crossed over the other sophisticatedly. If you didn't know this was your sister, you would assume you were meeting a well-known designer. Her narrowed eyes were a feature that stuck out the most, flitting carefully around the coffee shop. It reminded you much like a feline, carefully keeping watch of her surroundings.

You always did find your sister beautiful, even when you were younger. She always seemed to hold herself well, always so sure of things, and seemingly always ready to take everything. But the lady never smiled, appearing like a rock at times, always dressed in a frown, if the lines on her forehead weren't enough of an indication. You wondered what it would be like to see her smile.

You haven't seen her since her wedding day, her being 20 years old before she exchanged her vows, so you took in the sight of her. You wondered briefly if everything was going well in her life, and questioned why she didn't contact you any time after the ceremony. Not that it's anything new, for she practically hated your guts, always glaring at you when you were walking past her when you visited your father's home.

She kind of looked tired now that you took a better look. Her eyes were rounded by dark circles, almost in some sort of sadness, or perhaps fear hidden in her eyes. Her body was hunched back, and it was now apparent in your eyes that your sister was aging. She was looking much older than you remembered, 6 long years since you've so much gotten a good look at her, as her wrinkles began becoming more apparent.