Chapter four

Stepping into the library, I'm met with absolute silence. Walking to the front desk, I saw Chloe sitting with her chin propped up on her hands, looking bored. I saw her sigh then blowing a bubble with her bubblegum.

I wonder what kind of flavour it is. I don't even know when last I ate a bubblegum. I'll buy me some after work, only if I don't forget.

I took slow steps towards Chloe, hoping that she won't be upset with me. I looked around the library and saw no Ms Willows around, she might be in her office. There were only four people in the library from where I can see.

"Where have you been? You're late!" Chloe's loud voice screech through my ears. Her blue eyes squinted with a angry look.

My eyes widen slightly. Oh no! She's mad at me....... again!

"I know, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be late. Something happen at the bakery and then....." I rumbled nervous before she cut me off.

"Well, I don't care. You made me late for.... Anyway, go tell that old fart you here and come immediately back!"She sneered at me with a pointed look.

"She's not an old fart. She's really ni..." once again I'm cut off from defending Ms Willows.

"I said I don't care! Do you ever stop talking? I can't stand you, get out of my face!" She snapped at me and pushed her finger harshly against my forehead, punctuating each word. My head bobbing to the back.

I know there is going to be dents of her sharp nails. There always is.

"Right, I'm so-sorry" I apologise and scurried away before she do something worse. The marks on my forehead burning. Why do I make everyone upset today?!

I walk silently to Ms Willows office, I stood in front of the door contemplating whether I should knock or not.

"Come in Lena dear" Ms Willows soft voice came through the door. I blush and slowly push the door open.

"H-hi Ms Willows" i greeted her, with a blush still on my face with being caught.

"Hi dear. You late today for the first time. Is everything okay?" she looked at me with concern.

"I apologise. Something happen at the bakery and it made me late. I won't let it happen again"

"It's okay. I was just worried that's all" she gave a small smile, her eyes wrinkling by the sides.

"Okay, thank you" I chuckle awkwardly, internally sighing a breathe of relief. Good, I'm not fired.

Ms Willows squinted her eyes eyes at me "what happen to your forehead?"

I quickly touch my forehead and felt a few dents, retracted my fingers and saw a small amount of blood "No nothing. I was re-resting m-my head on m-my hands and d-didn't realise i made d-dents w-with my f-fingers" I stutter out and chuckle nervously.

"Oh alright then. You may go, Lena. I'll see you later" still looking at me like I was lying, which I am but I didn't want Chloe in trouble.

"See you later Ms Willows" I waved before walking out the door. My beating heart gradually slowing down. Phew!

'Good lie, Lena' I mentally high five myself. I don't like lying, it's a big no no!

I wonder if Anna will come by today? I hope so.

Coming back to the front I saw Chloe looking agitated. I quickly speed up my walk.

"Thank goodness! What took you so long, I have to go. Take over my shift" she said hurriedly picking up her bag and walking out the door.