Chapter thirty six

Anna's pov

Watching that elevator door close in our faces, hurt more than anything I've experienced. My heart felt like it split in two. I didn't even realised a sob escaped me until Olivia pulled me into her chest.

"It's okay, babe" I could hear the crack in her voice. She patted my back and stroked my hair. She rather comfort me than herself.

"It's not okay. What did we do wrong, Liv?" I choked out as I clutched her shirt tightly in my hands.

"I...I don't know. I'm sorry" she said apologetically.

I pulled away from her chest and looked at her to see her avoiding my gaze, blinking her tears away. We both are people who rarely cries. But this hurt.

"Let's go" she tried to smile at me and pulled my hand and walked out from Lena's apartment complex.

The cold air hitting us in the face as we walked to the car. I wiped my tears away, getting into the car. The car ride home was filled with silence. Not even the radio was playing.

Normally the radio would be playing and Lena would be singing her little heart out even if she got the lyrics wrong. Making us burst into laughter. It hasn't been this quietly in a long time and I hated it.

**

This was the longest week of my life. Having to see Lena's toys laying around, her bottles and pacifiers, was like a punch in the gut. Hanging up her clothes and going into her nursery made me cry like a little baby. Liv did not enter it once. The silence that surrounded us was deafening.

It was surreal. Olivia and I are really struggling. We didn't know how to act around one another because we were so use to having Lena around us.

Another thing was that my breast started hurting so bad. My milk supply increased, so I had to constantly pump. My milk would stain my shirts and it was embarrassing and Liv would make jokes, trying to lighten the mood.

Everyday we would make sure to send Lena food and water to her apartment. Although she didn't want to see us, we would visit her at work, but her coworker, Angelica, would always have an excuse. We knew she was there, because we could see her hiding behind the shelfs.

We would call her everyday, but Lena wouldn't pick up, so we settled with voice messages. It made me happy to see her listening to our messages, it would show a tick that she saw it and opened it.

But we weren't going to give up.

We were heading home from work now. I wasn't feeling so well, more like I was crying in the stall, so I called Liv came to fetch me.

"What do you think she is doing now?" I turned to Liv as my head rest against the headrest.

"Probably reading a book" Liv chuckled.

"Should we visit her to.." I was cut off as my phone rang.

"It's Lena" I whispered excitedly. Joy took over Olivia's face as she parked the car on the sidewalk.

"Hi baby" my voice cracked. I wished everyday for a phone call from her.

"Hi honey" Liv leaned over, smiling.

"Mama, mommy. Wan you pease" Lena said and immediately started sobbing. I heard a thud afterwards.

"We coming, sweetheart" I answered panicking, think of something worst has happened.

Liv immediately did a u-turn and sped to Lena's apartment complex. I didn't know what to think. Lena calling us while in headspace was weird and she never slips without us there. I tried whispering reassurance to her but she still cried. My heart was breaking, hearing her in distress.

Olivia parked the car and we jumped out of the car and ran inside the building. I could still hear Lena's sobs through the phone.

"I'm sorry, we can't allow you to go up" the receptionist stop us from entering the elevator.

"We are here for Lena Marie. She on the phone right now" I explained hoping it's enough.

I spoke to Lena before giving the phone to him. I hand him the phone and waited for confirmation that we may go.

"Yes, I understand. You may go, it's part of protocol" the man smiled and gestures for us to go.

"It's no problem. Thank you" I rushed out as we got in.

"Ma-m-ma, 'ewe n-o-ow?" Lena stutter, sniffling.

"Mama is by the door, can you open for mommy and I" I asked softly.

"Wes, mama" I could hear her little feet patter coming to the door.

"Mama, Mommy" she squealed and jumped into our arms. We both catch her just in time.

"I missed you so much baby" I buried my face in her hair, inhaling her scent.

I miss her smell. It felt like I could breath again.

"Mommy, missed her little bumblebee"

"Miss wou too. Lena sowwy" Lena muffled into my shirt.

"It's okay, we will talk about this later" I kissed her head multiple time including Liv.

I picked her up and walked into her apartment. She felt more lighter than she normal is. I stop back in my tracks and frowned as I observed her place. There stood all the food that we brought to her apartment on the kitchen counter.

"Baby, did you eat!" I asked worriedly, Liv walked further in and checked the kitchen. She shook her head, sighing and sat on the sofa.

Lena whined and hid her face deeper in my neck. I knew what that means. When's she's in trouble or anything, she whines and hide her face. I walked over and sat next to Olivia.

"Can you look at us, Lena?" I asked stroking her hair.

She lifted her head and looked at us. Her nose was red and eyes, her cheeks was stained with tears. I wiped them away with my sleeve.

"Do you want to talk now or later?"

"Latew" she pouted and played with my necklace on my neck.

"That's fine" I pulled her into a hug and just held her tightly. I was afraid of letting her go. Liv joined in and held us in her arms.

We just sat their in silence, enjoying being back together. I could feel the love that emitted from us as we snuggled together.

Sometime time later, I felt a tug on my shirt.

_______________