Births & Break-Ins

Ever since he was 17, Peter always knew that one day - one day, he'd want children. But, with MJ.

Never did he think, when that day finally came, he'd nearly miss the birth.

At 9 months pregnant, just two days over her due date, MJ was growing restless as the sleepless nights became longer and longer. Meanwhile, Peter was doing everything he could to make her feel comfortable.

However, as it began to approach MJ being three days past her due date, Peter got a call. Or rather, got a visit.

The couple had been staying at the compound around a week before MJ's due date as their actual home was nearly an hour away from the hospital and, should an ambulance be called, it would take longer for them to get through the busy streets before eventually making their way down the winding roads to their home.

So, as Peter and MJ were staying at the compound, Fury knew exactly how to reach them.

"Look who's here." MJ smiled to her husband as he walked through the door to the lounge, his nose stuck in a What to Expect When You're Expecting book, in order to find out more about the birth that MJ would probably, at this rate, have to be induced into.

"Director Fury." Peter said, slight shock in his voice. "What - Has their been a problem, Sir?"

Fury nodded. "I sent Romanoff's sister and Barton on an extract mission three days ago and it's been radio silence since. Barton was due to check in an hour ago and still, nothing. Since Agent Jones here is full term and you being the father, I wouldn't be asking this of you if I didn't need it."

Ever since MJ had joined Shield as an Agent, Fury's deminor had softened. Most people - close people - now saw a side of him that no-one but Hill and Romanoff ever saw.

"Are there not any other agents available?"

Fury shook his head.

"Dr Banner?" Peter asked.

"Vacation - Sanctioned by the President."

"Thor?"

"Off world."

Peter thought harder. "Captain Marvel?"

"Off world and radio silent."

Peter looked to MJ and then back to Fury. "What about other Agents?"

Fury looked to Peter. "This is a highly classified mission. Other agents...they haven't been trained for this level. And now that Barton and Yelena have gone radio silent..."

MJ could read the worry on Peter's face. He wanted to be there for her, but yet, other members of his family were now missing and it wouldn't be long before they would be presumed dead.

"Go." MJ told him. "They need you."

"But -"

Standing up, MJ walked over to her, taking his hand in hers. "They need you. And this little one," MJ layed another hand on her stomach. "Doesn't look like they'll be coming out any time soon. We'll be okay. Go. Barton needs you."

So, Peter was off.

However, as Peter was doing a weapons check on the jet whilst Fitz got ready in the pilot seat, Peter heard another set of footsteps.

"I want you to take Bishop."

Peter nearly snapped his neck he moved that quick. "What? No. No, no."

"Parker, I'm assigning people to this field op. You don't get a say in it."

Peter walked towards Fury. "I do when that person hasn't had any training in the field. She could get herself killed."