Meeting The Kid

The next morning, they were all down in the same diner, however were spread out and in disguise.

Natasha was sat at the counter, head down and sipping a cup of coffee when the kid came running inside, however not before sliding through the door to which the owner, Jason, laughed before speaking. "Risky Businnes."

Peter simply laughed before looking round. "You haven't seen my-"

"Science book?" Jason asked.

Peter nodded. "Yes. Yes, my science book."

Jason handed over to Peter. "You seem out of breath."

"It's Betty. She called and yelled down the phone for me to get to school. Something about a presentation..." Peter's voice trailed off, since, when he opened his book, he saw a small note, his voice turning from being breathless to confusion.

"Nice...work...kid..?" Peter said as he read the note, turning it over to see if there was a name. Peter looked around but saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Jason snapped Peter out of his thoughts, telling him to hurry up before Betty would come looking for him to drag him to school. Peter thanked Jason once more before quickly leaving.

As Jason turned his back, pouring another cup of coffee for Nat, who was still in disguise. "You know? Next time you want to pose as the kid's teacher, make sure that the person you're speaking to doesn't already know all the teachers at his school."

Natasha jaw dropped slightly. "How-?"

"I know people who would want to know that kid." Jason said, handing Natasha her coffee. "He's intelligent and kind. So, why didn't you talk to him?"

"Didn't feel like the right time."

Jason looked round before smiling back to Natasha. "He comes in here everyday at 8 am and everyday after he finishes school. He picks up a couple of shifts here and there too. You're welcome anytime, just make sure this doesn't turn into stalking." Jason partly joked.

Natasha gave a small laugh under her breath. "Trust me, it won't."

A few days passed before anyone said anything. They'd come in a couple of time each week, but now it was nearing December. This meant the diner got more busy, but it also meant Peter had picked up more shifts working for Jason.

Natasha was mainly the one who came down. Sometimes Steve or Clint would come down, but that was it. But the whole team still kept tabs on him. He was an intelligent kid, and if they found out where he went to school, there was a chance they could bring him in for an interview for Stark Industries, if he wanted.

It was around 11pm and Jason had got a phone call from his wife around 7 since she'd gone into labour with their third child. Each time Jason's wife had given birth, his reaction was the exact same, excited then panicked.

It had been Peter's day off but they were short on staff and they were about to finish their shifts soon and he needed someone to lock up.

Peter understood and got there a quickly as he could. He wished Jason good luck before he rushed to the hospital to meet his wife.

Natasha had been in the corner since 8pm, and had kept her eye on Peter.

"Can I get you anything else?" Peter asked, walking over, clearning a few tables beside her.

She gave a small smile. "No, thankyou."

"I've never seen you in here before." Peter stated.

"I'm new to the area." Natasha said.

Currently, she was dressed in just jeans and t-shirt with a beanie on her head, and her hair curled. She had a British accent too, so it deflected from her actual one.

"You're from England?" Peter asked.

Natasha nodded. "Yes. I moved here for work a few weeks ago."

"How are you liking it?"

Natasha smiled. "It's been...an adventure."

After a few moments, Natasha spoke up. "You wouldn't know of any good schools around here, would you? My daughter, she's been staying with her grandma back home, but she's coming over next week since I've finally got most things into place, except her school. She loves science, it's her best subject. Total opposite from mine."

"Really?"

Natasha nodded. "Mine was English. It's what made me want to become a reporter."

Peter smiled. "You're a reporter? That's amazing. If you're looking for science schools- How old is your daughter?"

"She's 13, about to be 14. She'll be starting in September, but until then I've arranged for her to be taught by a homeschool teacher."

Peter smiled. "You could always try and enroll her at Mid Town Tech. It's where I go, and it's a good school. Especially if she loves Science. It's about 10 minutes from here, by walking." Peter explained.

Natasha nodded. "Thankyou. I'll be sure to check it out."

Natasha paid the bill before leaving, but now she knew what Jason meant when he described Peter. Part of Natasha wished her story was true. It was the first time, ever, that she'd felt bad for lying. Why? She had no idea. But now she knew where he went to school, so that made her investigation easier.

She just hoped he'd want to have an interview at SI...